Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-10-2013 , 11:42 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Black Sails Trailer

Thought I would post this up as it has the digital pirate ships in that I modelled by myself (yes by myself) over a 3 month period with lots of long days.....

Black Sails Official Trailer - YouTube

enjoy
Jay

# 2 13-10-2013 , 12:08 AM
I wish the shots of the ships lasted a tad longer. They flash up so fast that you really cannot say much about them beyond the silhouette definitely looks like ship.

I'd be curious to know the ratio of time spent to model and texture (and light) to the actual time the models are on screen in the movie. It would kind of suck if it's months of work for 24 frames of film time.

I noticed the same thing in breakout, all the detail in the spaceships kind of get lost between and short time in shot and the motion blur.

Hopefully you can get permission to post some renders so we can all oogle at them.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2013 at 12:19 AM.
# 3 13-10-2013 , 10:42 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its not a movie Rick..its a tv series so there'll be plenty of time to look at stuff. This is a trailer so the cuts will be fast and furious. Yeah the Lockout models are on my website so you can always view those there.

Well I spent 3 months on those boats. The first one was the longest to do as I had to follow the onset stuff as best possible as they built one at full size for the close ups. The rest were frankensteined from those. although theres a huge Spanish galleon that I did that only used the hull as a base and also the masts, the rest was fresh build. I did all the guild work in Geometry too instead of sculpting in zbrush. But I will post renders once the series is released in January.

Texturing was done side by side with the models as was look dev, the minute I finished uving a part it would get sent to either department. So it could be something as simple as a mast but it helped push it through the pipeline quicker. being for tv you really dont have the luxury of time as oppose to a movie...

Although the models were only supposed to be used in mid ground I ended up building higher resolution just because I was enjoying myself way too much doing it hahahaha so they certainly got bang for the buck on them.

Jay