Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-11-2013 , 09:30 PM

hp vs maya

Hello m8s.
I have a question 4 u:

I posted a similar question on few forums (maybe on this, i can't remember), but nobody gave me a useful answer.

My problem is that i'm not pretty sure that my machine uses best performances when i'm working in maya. I have installed maya 2014, tried to set stuff correctly, but something's not good.
I have hp z400, with 12 gigs of ram and quadro 2000. When maya render (with mental ray) a still frame (not some hard core scene with billions of polygons) a scene with 2-3 lights, shadows and objects with, at all, 3000-4000 polys, it took about 5 minutes. When i'm rendering some animations, it's even worse. Ok, it depends of many things, but on my old machine, which was not nothing special, i thing, it was faster user added image
My first test (when i bought hp, 2 years ago) was with a big scene, that i made on the other cpu (which was made for AVID, not for 3d). On avid machine it takes about 20 minutes to finalize a render (maya software), and on my hp it takes about 2 minutes. I was very surprised with the result. But i'm talking about still frame and that scene. After that things went wrong.
I was trying to set a multythread, max memory usage and other stuff, but when batch renders stars, i look at task manager it shows that maya is using only 2-3 gigs of ram, and cpu usage is something very poor and small. Like it uses only one core of four.

Anyone knows some tricks or what's the problem or... ?

thanks guys! user added image
user added image

# 2 03-11-2013 , 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
This the sort of thing that is so vague and involves so many factors, it would be difficult to solve without actual testing.
  • - You're on a 64 bit OS using a 64 bit version of Maya
  • - Your firewall isn't hindering Maya
  • - Your machine isn't overheating in any way
  • - There isn't some crazy high sampling setting in your render settings, lights, shaders etc
  • - You've went to Render>Batch Render>Options
    • - unchecked "Auto render threads" and set number of threads(it's weird, it seems to work better if manually specified)
    • - unchecked auto memory limit and set a manual limit
    • - tried checking on both "render on local machine" and "render on network machine"

- Genny
# 3 04-11-2013 , 12:02 AM
1. yap os and maya are both 64 bit
2. firewall doesn't make any problems
3. nope there are no crazy settings
I've done everything in batch render settings, except checking last 2 squares user added image i'll try that. maybe that's the reason ?! cause I found some stupidities in maya settings, and who knows maybe that will solve my problem user added image

thanks man, hope that will work user added image

# 4 12-11-2013 , 07:06 AM
This information provided by you is very constructive for correct planning. I like your work for providing information to the other.

Last edited by pearlprice22; 25-01-2014 at 07:57 AM.
# 5 04-12-2013 , 03:28 AM
Nice info.

Last edited by Shenika65; 11-11-2014 at 07:12 AM.