Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 15-11-2013 , 11:18 PM

Floating object pulling another with wire

Hi

For a school assignment i need to create a simulation where a boat is floating in a ocean. Fishing rod is firmly attached tothe boat and there is fishing line coming from the rod to water (has to be simulated not just a curve) with a float(bite indicating floating thingy) at the end (hook doesn't have to bee there). Then fish "gets caught" which means something starts pulling the float and the boat has to follow it.

So far i have ocean, floating boat that interacts with the ocean, fishing line created as nCloth and the floater. Boat is created simply through Fluid Effects->Ocean->Make boats and float similarly Fluid Effects->Ocean->Float selected objects. The nCloth fishing line is attached to the fishing rod on the boat and to the float. Movement of the rod and the float cause the line to deform and follow them which is what i need.

What i can't figure out is how to start pulling the float and transfer that motion/force through the line onto the boat. The result has to be a simulation, i can't just keyframe everything.

Any help is much appreciated.
Kladimir