Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-01-2014 , 12:12 AM

Maya/3ds Max UV Build

So i created this model my model in maya and then exported it in 3ds max to start rigging it, but then i exported it as an obj back into maya to do the UV's and in the end i noticed than at my wrists and ankles my model has 1 loop of triangles, like in the image. Is there a way to delete the faces completely, extrude one loop and bind each vertice back to its original place and update the UV's with the new face. Is that possible??? or a way around this?

user added image

Last edited by KHM3dia; 05-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
# 2 05-01-2014 , 11:58 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Post a screen grab

J

# 3 06-01-2014 , 07:25 PM
You can transfer attributes. So yes. If the UV's are a little wrong you can go in and manually snap them into place. Takes a few minutes but better than doing it all over again.

# 4 06-01-2014 , 10:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
One thing worth checking with a maya/max workflow are the scene scales and also the point order. I worked on a movie a couple of years back and we were all using the same unit size ie: inches and yet when importing from max the size of the model was huge compared to that of maya.

So with this in mind and purely as a precaution, also check your point order, because if it changes you may not be able to transfer attributes without a little bit of fuss...

It may be something that was rectified since but I felt the need to point it out...

cheers
Jay