Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-02-2014 , 01:08 PM

tile part of a tire

user added image

how can i tile this? if i duplicate and move it in the Y it will not be lined up properly. im going ****ing nuts right now.

thanks

- skalman

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 2 21-02-2014 , 06:33 PM
You should be able to do a Duplicate Special and rotate it around the inner axis. This will duplicate this patch into a full circle. You can also tell duplicate to attach the new tiles to this one which would create a pretty smooth surface for this tire. Does that make sense?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right." --Henry Ford
# 3 11-03-2014 , 09:35 AM

You should be able to do a Duplicate Special and rotate it around the inner axis. This will duplicate this patch into a full circle. You can also tell duplicate to attach the new tiles to this one which would create a pretty smooth surface for this tire. Does that make sense?

what i do is duplicate my mesh and snap the vertexes together, then duplicate it till i get a long flat tire, then shrinkwrap the selection to a cylinder that would define the wheel. but i hate the process to duplicate and make the lower bottom part match the upper part, so that i can merge vertexes easy. i go crazyyyyy on stuff like that haha .. user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 4 11-03-2014 , 12:58 PM
Technical Director
There is no simple way to do it. You have to make the bottom match the top.

Also, you don't need to use shrink-wrap. Take a look at the bend deformer.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.