Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-03-2014 , 02:49 AM

Camera Won't Adjust when Resizing Images

So I'm on assignment to model a character. I create the project, go to four-pane mode, and import the images, then change the unit in Maya to feet and enter six. I then take the image and move them per the instructions, changing the Y value in the Attribute editor (under "image center") to 2.5.

Here is my problem: The camera will stays where the image USED to be. So on the side view, I can see the character's feet only, unless I am really zoomed out, which is problematic because I need to create curves and, well, model the darn thing. Help please?

I have also made other cameras in each orthographic view prior to importing etc because I heard that was a fix to this issue, along with switching back to default to do the work in. I can't really switch though because I don't know how. And this is like the third time I've redone this at least! T.T

EDIT
I employed my previous quick fix... along with the cameras of using the 2d pan/zoom tool so I could see and ignoring it when necessary in the settings.

And now I'm trying to extrude a part of my model via face selection and well... stupid !@# happens.user added image
More faces will pop up in the extrusion than necessary. I just want a simple extrude that pulls down to form my character without having to mess with vertices that shouldn't be out of line to begin with.
Maya, you REALLY have a knack for making people angry.

Last edited by tnbee; 06-03-2014 at 04:52 AM.
# 2 06-03-2014 , 09:08 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi there, firstly stay calm, Maya has a knack for sensing if you're frustrated and starts deliberately causing all sorts of problems for youuser added image, but seriously...

If you could post a screen shot of your extrude problem it might help to find out what's going on. From the sound of it you might have 'keep faces together' (edit mesh>keep faces together) unchecked which could be causing numerous faces or you might not be toggling the local/world switch to world to keep the extrusion straight.

They're the first few things that come to mind without seeing the problem.

Cheers, the Yeti.