Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 29-03-2014 , 02:07 AM
Lifetime Member

Your Preferred Compositing SW

The last time I made an animation it was in Adobe Premiere...

I did look into AE a few years back but my 'return' to both 3d and Animation was short lived.

I am now resurrecting a project that was my motivation to study Animation in the first place, It's fight choreography - (Traditional 2 person set that I learnt as a child and have never seen the style practiced since)

I'm a LONG way from finished but ready to batch render bits of it to see how it flows...

Please I'd like suggestions/recommendations on the compositing programs people are using. Specifically AE or NUKE, or a good free one?

Thanks.

# 2 29-03-2014 , 09:44 AM
SM Tea Boy
I use nuke for pretty much all my compositing.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 29-03-2014 , 10:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
nuke it user added image

Jay

# 4 29-03-2014 , 03:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you want to see how the animation is working, don't render it, just do a playblast. Should save a lot of time. But to answer your question, I use AE which is cheaper and good for most of your compositing needs. Nuke is more challenging to learn but I suspect more powerful in the long run.

Last edited by stwert; 29-03-2014 at 03:10 PM.
# 5 29-03-2014 , 08:33 PM
Technical Director
Nuke for me as well.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 30-03-2014 , 12:00 AM
Lifetime Member

Thx for replies.

Thank you for your input.

Guess nuke it is. I have been using Playblast to view my sequences and also plain old Fcheck to compile my image sequences... Just realised I'm wanting to start dipping my toes in the next step, but had no idea what 'pool' that was... seems to be a half a dozen choices or more available and I couldn't/cant find a good way to distinguish between them. (without actually trying them all)

Thanks again.

# 7 30-03-2014 , 12:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
Nuke... actually any Foundry software for me. user added image