Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 09-05-2014 , 05:33 PM

Batch Rendering errors

Hi,
When batch rendering from the cmd prompt there are several warnings pop up in the DOS shell (see below). I don't know how to use the recommended 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable the warning or even how to fix any of the root issues listed below. I went into the camera node and deleted the outputs of the 'addDoubleLinear' and that removed the respective warning but it also ruined the path anim the camera is using for the scene.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Warning: (Mayatomr) : found more than one render camera, using just the first for shutter: perspShape
Warning: Cycle on 'D_camera1.translateX' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)
Warning: Cycle on 'Manny_walk_01c_addDoubleLinear1.output' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)

Last edited by CyberGolem; 09-05-2014 at 05:42 PM.
# 2 09-05-2014 , 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
It literally means type...

Code:
cycleCheck -e off
into your command line and execute it.

These aren't actual errors, just warnings. I find that sometimes Maya throws warnings about negligible stuff(like the gamma nodes in my shaders), if the animation is working as intended and rendering as intended then you can just keep it moving along.

Because of Maya's DAG(Directed Acyclic Graph) hierarchy, if a connection is made, for example, from object A to B, then B to C and C ends up connecting back to object A and affecting the information it's sending to object B(and subsequently C again) then that is a cycle and will cause Maya to complain.

This warning is another deal.

Warning: (Mayatomr) : found more than one render camera, using just the first for shutter: perspShape

Seems like you need to specify a camera in your render settings.

- Genny
# 3 09-05-2014 , 10:23 PM
Hi Gen,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I already tried the command line entry, and though it fixed the render whilst Maya was open it didn't stick when it was saved and shut down to batch render from the cmd prompt. In earlier attempts I was getting gobs of these warnings with nMB per warning. The original render was over 8 minutes per frame. After a couple of hours of futzing/optimizing, it came down to just one warning message and a 2:30'ish render time. I have no idea what happened since I wasn't tracking my every move. Whatever it was though hasn't resolved this last warning. FYI: I'm not well versed in rendering so my next question would be, is a 2:30 minute render time for a pure ambient occlusion layer, 1280 x 720 normal? I suppose it's calculating all the normals in the scene ... ??

As for that other message, I only know of one place in the render options to select a camera and it's currently pointed at the correct one ... and rendering it to boot user added image I've even tried importing the animation into a new file and building the camera system and all the lights from scratch, but it doesn't seem to help.

Since it is rendering and looking decent, I'll take your advice and ignore these warnings. My OCD side is still screaming though :^D

Thanks much!

# 4 10-05-2014 , 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
I'm curious, do you have any special connections to your camera? If you create a default camera and batch with it, does it still happen?

- Genny
# 5 11-05-2014 , 02:14 AM
Yes, the camera is attached to a NURBs circle. The camera aim is not attached to anything.

# 6 11-05-2014 , 03:51 PM
I found a list of all the command line flags at the Autodesk site, so this is what I added to my bat file: -preRender cycleCheck -e off
... but it didn't work. The warnings still pop up.

Even though these are simply warnings, I'm far too curious about why I can't disable it. Onward I suppose user added image

Here's a link of the flags from the Autodesk site: https://download.autodesk.com/global/...ber=d30e693870

# 7 11-05-2014 , 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry I just re-read the previous post, I don't know the scene/machine details but yes AO rendering is generally more expensive, sometimes frustratingly so.

The camera warning is bugging me, I've never seen this before. If you could post or pm me a link to the render log I'd actually like to look it over. This is quite the curious case.

- Genny