Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-08-2014 , 02:30 PM

Weird polygon extrude along curve

Hi there,
I got some problems about extruding polygons along curve (made with EP curve tool).
When I try to extrude edges of a cylinder along my curve, the extruded faces don't keep the
cylinder shape ! That's strange, one week before it was working, I think that I changed some settings maybe... Hope some one can help me, and sorry for my bad english. user added image
user added image

user added image

# 2 05-08-2014 , 05:58 PM
The thin red line
looks like you have taper set to 1 change to 0 or reset your tool................dave

# 3 06-08-2014 , 10:01 PM
Hmm, that's not working, I have reset the settings and set taper to 0 but the extruded cylinder still look like "flat". I have moved the vertex AND the points of the EP curve, it maybe makes someting going wrong :s
Here's another exemple of the problem :
user added image

# 4 06-08-2014 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Rather than extruding the edge of the cylinder try leaving the end faces on and extruding them instead, it works for me anyway.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 06-08-2014 , 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
And the curve is flowing in the right direction?

- Genny
# 6 07-08-2014 , 10:13 AM
I extruded the faces and it's a little bit better user added image, but I don't understand what you mean by "flowing in the right direction" about my curve user added image

# 7 07-08-2014 , 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
When you extrude along a curve the extrusion ends at the curve's end point. This is just a guess at the issue, try Edit Curves>Reverse curve direction.

- Genny
# 8 08-08-2014 , 05:15 PM
I checked, and the curve is on the right direction, but extrude face along curve works fine so I'll keep this way, thanks for your help guys !