Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-10-2014 , 10:16 AM

Hi Res Hard Surface UV Unwrap Workflow

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the best way of unwrapping a hardsurface model that has a high poly count would be. I intend to paint this model using MARI so I don't know if that has any effect on how the model should be unwrapped.

What would be the general workflow for this type of model?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjx9vjlb6u...frame.jpg?dl=0

user added image

Thanks in advance!

# 2 13-10-2014 , 06:30 PM
I went ahead and unwrapped it using a mixture of techniques. I started by unwrapping with an auto-unwrap and then refined it. This was fine for me because I then textured it in Mari which meant I did not have to worry to much about the layout of the UV shells and seams.

I did have to make sure that all of my shells had a uniform texture size so that none of the model would appear lower resolution.

Hope this helps for anyone else having the same trouble I had. Let me know your thoughts on this process.