Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-01-2015 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber

Selecting poly faces with brush

As much as I hate to say this but I forgot how to use the brush tool to select poly faces.
If somebody could please drop a reminder I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

# 2 12-01-2015 , 02:27 AM
Hi,

Select your object like normal, then select the paint selection tool (brush tool) from the tool menu on the left hand side of the screen (3rd icon down), hold right click on model and select face.

You should now be able to use the tool to select the faces

Hope this helps

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.
# 3 12-01-2015 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the method but for some reason when I do that as soon as I click on the object all the faces separate with gaps between them. I'm going to try to reset the settings and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks again.

# 4 12-01-2015 , 10:28 AM
Yeah that might do it, if not though, you can try;

Highlight your entire object, go to mesh-combine, then change the object to vertex view, highlight all vertex and go to edit mesh-merge vertex, change the distance number in the merge vertex attributes by clicking the little box to the right of the merge vertex option, the closer your vertex are together, the lower the distance number needs to be.

If its a case that you may of imported the object in from another program like zbrush specifically, make sure under export options, grps button is not active

See link for grp button;

https://docs.pixologic.com/wp-content...ool-Export.jpg

If this button is active it will export your objects in different polygroups resulting in objects not unified as one.

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.

Last edited by mendosa69; 12-01-2015 at 03:30 PM.