Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-03-2015 , 05:13 PM

Texture help!

Hello everyone im new to maya and I've been desperately trying to get a similar metallic texture as one of the images below,what i am doing is using a fractal bump map and using a color texture but i am nowhere near close and don't have even the slightest idea how to get a similar texture.

user added image
user added image

and this is what im getting using mia_x material,and this is as close as i am able to get as of now.

user added image

Last edited by Routh; 31-03-2015 at 06:29 PM.
# 2 01-04-2015 , 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Hey Routh, I don't know which surface in the first pic you're trying to simulate (The blue flash light? The box?), either way, metallic shader settings won't look very metallic without some kind of interesting environment to reflect and the default physical sky doesn't provide that. A typical product shot will use soft boxes and in Maya's case, you can simulate this with visible area lights. Some people throw in a few pieces of self illuminating geometry for a bit more detail. Check out studio lighting.

- Genny
# 3 02-04-2015 , 07:06 PM
Hey Gen!!I meant the box not the flash light,i did as you said i added a studio environment and used self illuminating planes it looks much better now,much more mettalic but i don't understand why do i get the fuzzy kind of texture when i make it anisotropic(to get the not so glossy feel),it doesn't get fuzzy in any of the tutorials ive seen,am i missing something in the render settings?

user added image

# 4 09-04-2015 , 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not quite sure what you mean by fuzzy. Do mean that your reflections are too blurry?

- Genny