Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-06-2015 , 04:11 PM

Cutting edge a specific distance from vertex

Misleading title perhaps. So I have a wall, say it's X' thick. Well I want to extrude a new wall perpendicular to the end of the first wall, that is also X' thick exactly. To do that, I was going to measure the length of the edge on the far end, and then use the multi cut tool to add a vertex that distance away from the corner of the wall. I didn't know how to measure the edge, nor would I know how to cut the side edge at that distance.

There is a better way to do this, if I know Maya at all, but I'm oblivious. Any ideas?

The picture shows, hopefully, what I'm trying to do with the multi cut tool.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-06-2015 , 04:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
Try duplicating the wall and positioning it at right angles to provide a template for the thickness. You can snap the new wall by holding down d and v and MMB clicking on the corner vertex, then just hold v and MMB click on the corresponding corner of the old wall. Then once you have the new wall in place, (theoretically you could boolean them together) but you can create a new edge loop anywhere, then snap those vertices to the new wall by holding down v and dragging on just one axis of the manipulator. I don't know if that makes sense. If I was at home I might make a screencast, but I'm just on lunch break at work.

# 3 04-06-2015 , 04:22 PM

Try duplicating the wall and positioning it at right angles to provide a template for the thickness. You can snap the new wall by holding down d and v and MMB clicking on the corner vertex, then just hold v and MMB click on the corresponding corner of the old wall. Then once you have the new wall in place, (theoretically you could boolean them together) but you can create a new edge loop anywhere, then snap those vertices to the new wall by holding down v and dragging on just one axis of the manipulator. I don't know if that makes sense. If I was at home I might make a screencast, but I'm just on lunch break at work.

No I understand, I'm actually surprised I didn't think of it. Thanks a lot. user added image