Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 31-08-2015 , 11:29 AM

Change object's forward direction

Hi,

I have some car models which I'd like to use in Unity3D. These models were made with Maya, so their forward direction is wrong in Unity. They are set to Y instead of Z. My question is it possible to change an existing model's forward direction in Maya? I've dowloaded the trial for this purpose, but I couldn't figure out how to do this, if it is even possible. I tried to fix it through the car's scripts but it didn't really work out. I hope someone can help me with this, so thanks in advance for any reply.

# 2 31-08-2015 , 04:02 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 3 31-08-2015 , 05:28 PM
To be honest I have no experience with Maya, I just read that it had other orientation, but now I checked it in Maya and they really the same. I tried the method in the first link before, it actually solved the problem with the direction but it caused other issues with the wheels (which I managed to fix but in a really "noobish" way, here is a thread about that I made, to give you more info). That's why I though I'd just change the model in Maya so I tried to rotate the model and exported it and with the same settings that worked before it just shooted into space (also it shrinked, so I had to resize it in Unity). Maybe I did something wrong while exporting, I'll try it again. If something is unclear please let me know.