Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-09-2015 , 02:53 AM

Need help with nonlinear deformer overlapping portions

I'm trying to recreate a soft, 'wavy' twisted look (the blue wavy tube image) by using overlapping Nonlinear Twist Deformers in Maya, but the twist deformer doesn't have a soft 'falloff' (as seen in the black and white image). I looked at painting deformer attribute weights, but got overwhelmed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 02-09-2015 , 04:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
What if you generated the whole structure flat, then used a sine deformer to get your nice gentle waves, then used a bend deformer to bend the whole thing around into a cylinder.

# 3 02-09-2015 , 10:42 PM

Wavy

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of rolling it out flat before applying a sine modifier. Way to think outside the box. user added image

I ended up getting it done by using soft select of CVs in the V direction, then rotating the group. Worked pretty well.

Thanks for the input.

# 4 02-09-2015 , 11:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice, glad you got it sorted. There's usually a handful or more ways to achieve a desired effect.