Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-09-2015 , 01:13 PM

Maya Software doesn't render smooth edges

Hello everyone

I am pretty new to Maya and I wanted to start by making simple Minecraft models but I have a bit of a problem. My mental ray crashes every time I use it, so I have to stick to Maya Software.

When I want to smoothen the edges, I choose the object and press "3" on the keyboard -I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but it works for me - but when I render it, the edges are sharp as original. This works with mental ray, I don't know why it doesn't.

I know it is probably something silly, but since I am new, I have no idea how to fix it

Thank you in advance! user added image

# 2 26-09-2015 , 03:17 PM
EduSciVis-er
Maya Software doesn't support smooth mesh preview (it's just a preview, really). You'll have to actually smooth the mesh if you want Software to render it smooth.

# 3 26-09-2015 , 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Also you may want to solve the whole Mental Ray crashing thing (unless you're planning on using a third party renderer) because it's much more powerful than the default Maya Software renderer. Does Mental Ray crash even if you make a simple polygon cube in a fresh scene and render? Check the crash logs.

- Genny
# 4 26-09-2015 , 08:15 PM

Also you may want to solve the whole Mental Ray crashing thing (unless you're planning on using a third party renderer) because it's much more powerful than the default Maya Software renderer. Does Mental Ray crash even if you make a simple polygon cube in a fresh scene and render? Check the crash logs.

If I make a new scene and add a cube, it works like a charm, but on other scenes it crashes.
This is what it says in Maya:

// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : failed during mental ray rendering: mental ray abort //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : output data type "rgba_h" not directly supported by image format jpg, conversion performed by mental ray //
// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //

And this is what it says in the output window:

IMG 0.3 10 MB warn 102002: type rgba_h not supported by iff format, using default type rgba
PHEN 0.4 25 MB fatal 051109: runtime exception 0xc0000005: access violation
PHEN 0.4 25 MB fatal 051109: runtime exception 0xc0000005: access violation

If you know why that is, I would be extremely thankful! user added image

Edit: I forgot to say that I tried resetting my preferences, but its the same story

# 5 26-09-2015 , 08:38 PM
EduSciVis-er

Last edited by stwert; 26-09-2015 at 08:41 PM.
# 6 26-09-2015 , 11:49 PM

Try these options: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...rendering.html

The output data type "rgba_h" warning is harmless.

The link which says "this article" doesn't work for me, but I assumed that it explained how to reset my preferences - I already did that but mental ray still crashes.

I tried logging in as another user with adminstrator rights - still crashes.

I cleaned my registry - still crashes.

I don't know what to do and I really want mental ray back. If you know something else which might help, please tell me.

# 7 27-09-2015 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
How about to redownload and reinstall the Mental Ray Package?

# 8 27-09-2015 , 11:44 AM

How about to redownload and reinstall the Mental Ray Package?

I reinstalled my whole Maya and still doesn't work user added image

# 9 27-09-2015 , 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm might want to run a memory test then. If you can, try one of the scenes that usually crashes on another machine.

- Genny
# 10 03-10-2015 , 08:29 AM

Hmm might want to run a memory test then. If you can, try one of the scenes that usually crashes on another machine.

I kinda doubt that the problem is in my machine. I bought this PC 3 weeks ago. The specs are:
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.5GHz (Quad-Core)
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB (if this event matters)
1 TB HDD

# 11 03-10-2015 , 11:44 AM
EduSciVis-er
Even a new machine can have hardware problems. Probably worth checking.