Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-09-2015 , 01:13 PM

[Vray] - Basic material setup make sense?

Hey all,

I was wondering if the below material node tree made sense? I've been playing around with a way to develop basic materials (plastic, polyurethane) and this is what I have so far (Attached).

I used to draw a curve out for the fresnel, but Viscorbel suggests that 90% of materials have a fresnel of 1.5 and what really needs custom attention is the glossiness amount factor as it's more of a falloff gradient then just a single value.

For metals I'm going to still draw the Fresnel curve out for the K value (that dip in falloff towards the end of metal material). Any suggestions are welcome. I'm developing a material library right now and want to make sure I'm doing it "correctly" (or sensibly).

Thanks guys and gals.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by 9krausec; 25-09-2015 at 01:19 PM.
# 2 25-09-2015 , 01:19 PM

oh, and output

So that produces the attached image. It looks pretty plastic-like to me. I've also started using the GGX BDRF which I find interesting. Need to learn more about it to know exactly what I'm doing, but good so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 05-10-2015 , 03:39 PM
Hey all,

Short: How do I organize materials so that only the last node of the shader trees are visible?

Long:

So I did end up implementing this setup in some of my material creation (creating a library for work). Another issue has came up and that is how to properly organize materials in the hypershade.

I have all my materials created so far exported as .MA files per each material. Some of the materials are somewhat complex to allow me to get different variations out of one material (for pipeline purposes).

These more complex materials have a larger node tree and when I import them all the nodes show up in the hypershade master bin. Is there a way to only view the last nodes of the trees of all materials in the scene?

Thanks much,
Clayton