Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-06-2016 , 02:23 AM

Maya Spacebar View Switch

While setting up hotkeys, I absent-mindedly assigned Spacebar to a custom marking menu (since I don't use the hotbox and figured I could assign it elsewhere if I wanted it back). After doing so, I soon realized that pressing Spacebar no longer toggles between four panel view and back again. I can't find any corresponding function in the hotkey editor to hook it back up, so is my only recourse to delete/regenerate my prefs and try to manually edit in all my other custom hotkeys from the old to the new prefs' text file? Or does anyone know a magical way to hook this functionality back up without that dance?

Maya 2016, Windows 8.1, Surface Pro 2, yadda yadda yadda not all that relevant. Thanks for any words of advice anyone can lend!

# 2 02-06-2016 , 03:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think that your hotkeys are typically stored in a folder called hotkeys in your prefs folder. Locate that and check if there is a mel file within that has your hotkeys.
Then you have a couple options. You can delete that, which should restore your hotkeys to default, or you can look through it and try to delete references to the Space bar (not sure if that will work).

Just throwing out a couple more options:
2016 has a new hotkey editor which has Hotkey Sets. You can try exporting your current set as an mhk file and then edit that to remove the space issue. Also see if you can change the hotkey set back to the Maya Default set.

# 3 02-06-2016 , 04:17 PM
All good ideas and options! I ended up looking up the fact that hotkeys are technically stored across three different files, so I figured they'd be safe if I only deleted my prefs file (which was not included in those three files), but alas, it popped me back to fully default hotkeys anyway. But it did fix my spacebar issue, so I just set about setting up my old hotkeys again, which took less time than I was imagining. It also gave me the chance to rethink a few to more ergonomic positions, so all's well that ends well!