Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-03-2003 , 11:24 AM

Apple finally biting the bullet? ;)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 22-03-2003 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
Looks like i postpone the puchase of a new Mac until the"new generation" (if it happens) is on the market ...
THX for the infouser added image

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 3 22-03-2003 , 08:58 AM
That was a pretty good read

cheers.

# 4 22-03-2003 , 10:17 PM
Who is this fellow, and why is he so much in the "Know" of Apple's future plans for a processor? As far as I know, I think the IBM 970 seems to be a much better contender for Apple. It's still PPC, and still has Altivec.

The Itanium doesn't have any Altivec capabilities, nor is it's architecture anywhere close to the PPC architecture. I strongly doubt that Apple is going to force every single software developer to recode all of their applications, including those who wrote Cocoa applications, to work on the x86 processor under OS X. Not only that, but the Itanium isn't 32 bit compatible. So every single application will have to be rewritten for 64 bit instruction. Nope. Not going to happen. At least not for consumer use. Xserve, maybe, but not the Powermac lines.

The PPC 970 from IBM is 32 bit compatible, and looks like it will scale much better than the G4. It will debute at 1.8 ghz, and has already been manufactured at 2.5 Ghz. I wouldn't be surprised that by next year at this time, Apple will have workstations with dual 64 bit PPC 970 chips running at around 2 Ghz a peice, all PPC compatible, incuding older 32 bit code, Altivec, and with the ability to use up to 2+ terabytes of ram. With what the IBM PPC 970 has to offer, the Itanium seems to be very, very outclassed. Ah, well, we'll see soon enough. Marklar was developed for a reason right? user added image

# 5 22-03-2003 , 11:03 PM
Actually, he's not far from the truth at alluser added image

I mean, his first paragraph was:
"The story starts with January's Intel sales conference. The surprise keynote speaker was Steve Jobs. And then, in the front row of Steve Jobs's keynote address at the last Macworld Expo were top Intel executives. Shortly thereafter, Pixar announced that it would become an Intel shop. That was all step one. Step two is coming."

At my work, which I'm sad to say, is a problem-ridden Mac-only hellhole, my boss was invited to the Intel conference as well, and witnessed the same speech Jobs gave there.

He said Jobs wouldn't stop winking at the Intel guys...

Just my 2 pence...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 23-03-2003 , 12:51 AM
SM Alumni
About time too.... been wanting this to happen user added image
I like OS 10 alot, but have never bought a mac for the simple fact that their hardware is vastly slower than pc equivalent, but could change things vastly.

wchamlet: one thing they might have taken into account is this - development is already underway for itanium based apps (maya included) which would mean a far easier ride for developers to code for the new Intel based Macs (ie already familier with the compiler / instruction sets etc) if theyre already working on linux/win32 versions.

# 7 23-03-2003 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
At the Univ Hosp in Zürich we have about 280 PCs and 130 Apples connected via a PC Server. The support crew mainly have throubles (esp concerning the ethernet) with the PCs. They say it' nothing easier to get Apples connected to a netsys. I am sorry to hear that your company has so many problems. What kind of hellhole are you refering to, Izzy?

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 8 23-03-2003 , 05:27 AM
I like how the link on apple was an advertisment of Windows and gateway computers.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 9 23-03-2003 , 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Axel
At the Univ Hosp in Zürich we have about 280 PCs and 130 Apples connected via a PC Server. The support crew mainly have throubles (esp concerning the ethernet) with the PCs. They say it' nothing easier to get Apples connected to a netsys. I am sorry to hear that your company has so many problems. What kind of hellhole are you refering to, Izzy?

Well we have about 60 brand new dual g4 grey towers all running Jag, with Maya and various Adobe apps, and every one of them all has the same keyboard issue where the spacebar stops working when Maya is running.
Apple says to talk to Alias, and Alias says to talk to Apple.
We did that for over a month, and Apple has no idea what the problem is, even though they pre-configured the machines for us!

Our network guys have had no problems getting the macs and the pcs on our 3 networks all talking to each other, so there is no problem there. (windows, xserv, and linux)

Every one of our 286 pc's have had ZERO problemsuser added image
(Dell, Gateway and a bunch of homebuilts)

All of our tech guys have been certified by Apple, and our lead network guy is directly from Apple.
They are all HARDCORE mac guys, but they complain everyday about how the macs keep having issues, while our pc's keep working just fine.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 10 23-03-2003 , 02:38 PM
Yes, I know Steve spoke at the Intel conference, but he didn't speak about switching Apple over to Intel chips. In case some of you don't know, Pixar switched their Sun boxes to Xeon(32Bit) powered boxes. No where did he talk about Itanium. The Itanium clocks at about 900 mhz, and desktop software will/could run slower than current G4's. Although the Itanium blows away the G4 as far a FP performance, at $2,000+ price tag per chip makes it hard to believe the Itanium is going to be Apple's next chip.

Here's the link talking about Pixar's switch to the blade servers: https://news.com.com/2100-1001-983898.html

And thinking that companies won't mind recoding their software, especially since they had to do it for OS X, is beyond my comprehension. Quark isn't even out for OS X yet and you think they will put all their code on the shelf, and rewrite it again for a whole new architecture? Nope, wrong again.

# 11 23-03-2003 , 07:32 PM

Originally posted by wchamlet
Yes, I know Steve spoke at the Intel conference, but he didn't speak about switching Apple over to Intel chips.

Yeah, you're right, he's just hanging around with the Intel guys, speaking at thier conventions, and inviting them to sit front row at his Keynote just because Jobs thinks they have a great ass.

Come ON man! Has Apple made you THAT nieve??
There's OBVIOUSLY some deal being made between Apple and Intel, or otherwise Job wouldn't be partying with them.

In case some of you don't know, Pixar switched their Sun boxes to Xeon(32Bit) powered boxes. No where did he talk about Itanium.

Your right again! hehe... He was NOT talking about Itanium.
He was talking about INTEL chips in general.

Geez... it sounds like your afraid of Apple wanting a faster chipset, and more stable architectire or something...

The Itanium clocks at about 900 mhz, and desktop software will/could run slower than current G4's. Although the Itanium blows away the G4 as far a FP performance, at $2,000+ price tag per chip makes it hard to believe the Itanium is going to be Apple's next chip.

Man, where do you get this stuff??
If you check out Intel's site, you can plainly see that the Itanium 2 chip is clocked at 1Ghz.
Even IF Apple went with the basic (older) Itanium clocked at 800mhz, in a dual machine, it would still be fater that anything Apple has releast as of yetuser added image

Here's the link talking about Pixar's switch to the blade servers: https://news.com.com/2100-1001-983898.html

Cool, thanks for the link!
You'll also notice a link to the Blade server company, and at their site they talk about how ILM has finaly moved away from forcing artists to be PROGRAMMERS, by switching most, if not all, of their
workstations to Dell machines! Whoohoo!
The only machines now left at ILM that are holding things up is the "Rogue Squadron". The mac-only Electric Image group of folks... But, it's only a matter of time.... user added image

And thinking that companies won't mind recoding their software, especially since they had to do it for OS X, is beyond my comprehension. Quark isn't even out for OS X yet and you think they will put all their code on the shelf, and rewrite it again for a whole new architecture? Nope, wrong again.

Again, you really sound frightened! Are you ok there?
OF COURSE software developers will have NO problems re-writing thier code to be more stable....BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE!!
The bad-developer community always screams that line of bs eveytime a new os, or architecture comes out...and then nothing bad happens.
The reason they stop bitiching is because thier boss simply explains to them that if they do not do it, they won't make money.

It simple economics dude.

But if you think that developers are just going to give up, and stop writing code out of fear, then I bet you were one of those folks who thought the world was going to end because of the Y2K issue. hehe...

Developers are JUST like us.
They WANT to learn more and more everyday because it makes them WORTH MORE to employers, and they are learning new technologies as welluser added image

I mean, by saying what you said, you lead us all to assume that if Maya got rid of NURBS and POLYS altogether, and made you use some new hybrid modeling method, you would just give up, and take your toys, and go home??

Well, I'd have to answer that with one of YOUR quotes then:

Nope, wrong again.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 12 23-03-2003 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber

ragecgi:I mean, by saying what you said, you lead us all to assume that if Maya got rid of NURBS and POLYS altogether, and made you use some new hybrid modeling method, you would just give up, and take your toys, and go home??

izzy, great article. oh no now i am frightened, i just start to learn polys better and they TAKE IT AWAY - oh no.

i just hope that apple stays with its great designs. i mean, i dont really care what is inside, if it gets the job done - and if need be even by computer illiterates. so i just wait to switch from one intel machine right now to a sexy looking intel machine ala imac user added image

# 13 23-03-2003 , 11:49 PM

Come ON man! Has Apple made you THAT nieve??
There's OBVIOUSLY some deal being made between Apple and Intel, or otherwise Job wouldn't be partying with them.

" Later in January, Jobs delivered the morning keynote address at Intel's annual sales conference in Las Vegas. "Andy (Grove) always tries to bring someone in from the outside," said an Intel representative. "Andy has always thought of Steve as being a quite a creative force in the industry."

The Intel chairman and Apple's CEO are, in fact, old friends. Still, "I'm sure one of the reasons he did it was for the shock value," the representative said. "

This quote is from the last paragraphs of the above article I linked. No where does it hint that "APPLE" is involved in any way with Intel. I'm not frightened, nor do I truly care what comes out in the near future for Apple computers. I have a DP unit that works plenty fast for me.

Man, where do you get this stuff??
If you check out Intel's site, you can plainly see that the Itanium 2 chip is clocked at 1Ghz.
Even IF Apple went with the basic (older) Itanium clocked at 800mhz, in a dual machine, it would still be fater that anything Apple has releast as of yet

The article kbrown linked to doesn't mention the Itanium 2. It clearly states the Itanium. Read it again. And I said about 900 mhz, which is pretty close to 1 Ghz if you ask me. I was going from the top of my head when I said that. Actually, looking around, HP sells a Workstation that has, get this, 900mhz and 1 Ghz Itanium 2 processors. Cool. Given the specs, the prices really aren't that bad, especially the DP units. Here's a link: https://www.hp.com/workstations/products/itanium/

Apple's biggest downfall was relying on one processor, the G4. Although, at the same clock speeds, the G4 trounces the P4, Motorola has not been able to keep up with MHZ speed. So, a single 2.5+ GHZ can outclass the DP 1 GHZ G4. But, the current DP 1.42 Ghz G4 is faster than a P4 at 3 Ghz. This is only for certain functions though. Maya rendering, nope, P4 still reigns there. But with Photoshop, and Video applications, the G4 is still faster. But, I can say now that the P4 has hyperthreading, it won't be long before it really does start to "Blow" away the G4. Apple knows this, and I am sure they are planning for it. If it's an Intel replacement, or an IBM replacement, who knows? We'll see soon enough.

However, I still don't think Apple will be using the Itanium. Or the Itanium 2. It's possible, yes. But so is the possibility of Apple to use the Opteron too. Apple and AMD have been working on various technologies, so they're not exactly out of the picture yet either. But, I still think IBM's PPC 970 is going to be Apple's next chip.user added image

OF COURSE software developers will have NO problems re-writing thier code to be more stable....BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHOICE!!
The bad-developer community always screams that line of bs eveytime a new os, or architecture comes out...and then nothing bad happens.
The reason they stop bitiching is because thier boss simply explains to them that if they do not do it, they won't make money.

It simple economics dude.

Well, given the fact that a whole bunch of people jumped on the OS X bandwagon, I see your point. Especially considering X11 support, Mac OS X is pretty awesome. However, I gave you a prime example of a company whom has publicly stated that it no longer cares about the Mac users and it's Mac customers, Quark. It's been at least 4 years since OS X has come out, and they still don't have their software ported to OS X yet. There are probably a lot of print houses, my company included, who can't switch to OS X until they release Quark for it. That's a lot of OS X liscences and possible equipment that is waiting to be bought from Apple. Do you really think Apple will ask Quark Xpress, one of Mac's flagship programs, to be rewritten again to run on a 64 bit x86 processor? I really find that hard to believe. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Your argument here is simple at best. Companies run on profit. Companies cannot spend 4+ years in R+D just to write their software. Apple is having a hard enough time trying to get people to write their software in Cocoa, let alone support the PPC, and x86 versions of OS X. Apple has even tried to kill OS 9 by making it impossible to be used on a new Powermac. But, if you look at thier site, they still sell OS 9 bootable towers. However, if Apple can set up some sort of compiler that allows software companies to publish their code for both types of architectures, then I can see Apple switching to Intel. But that is almost too much to wish for, IMO, and the IBM 970 would eliminate the need for all that headache.

If you would like to have a civil conversation, instead of calling me names, then please continue. If not, don't bother. user added image

# 14 24-03-2003 , 01:50 AM

Originally posted by wchamlet
"If you would like to have a civil conversation, instead of calling me names, then please continue. If not, don't bother. user added image

Sure, no problem.
And btw, if you read my post, nowhere did I call you a nameuser added image

However, if you are refering to the, "Has Apple made you THAT nieve??" part, then, my appologies if that made you feel sad or hurt in any way.
I didn't know you would be that sensitive about this kind of touchy topicuser added image

We could go on forever about this....so I'll stopuser added image

Anyway... LORD OF THE RINGS JUST WON FOR BEST VISUAL EFFECTS!!!!!

WHOOHOO!!!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 15 24-03-2003 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
I wonder too if Jobs and the boys have decided that the public would be more interested If there was an intel inside symbol on the box. Seems insane but you gotta wonder if this is part of the reasoning. Also when I left IBM we were pretty much in fear of the death of all the r/s6000 or PPC machines. without IBM involved apples cost would go up even more.

Can you imagin osX with that much speed. whew....

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤
Chris
essahc@sbcglobal.net