Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-03-2003 , 05:22 AM

AMD Hammer Processors

The new AMD Hammer Processors are coming out very soon. I read like the end of april! I believe they are gonna be call AMD Operon or something like that.
Its can run at 64bits so that will be awesome and it's supposed to be "realitivly cheap." I dont know if this is true but a 800mhz Operon is equivilant to a 3.06 Pentium4.

What have you heard or whats your opinion?

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 2 23-03-2003 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
In all honesty, the hammer is actually quite similar to the existing Athlon XP with some additional ehancements. If you remember AThlon's k7 architecture, you may be even a little surprised, since the hammer looks almost identical...
To put it simply, hammer has all the architectural advantages of its predecesoors, but adds a fair number of enhancements to them. Much in contrast to the 64 bit IA64 architextrue used by intel for its itanium line of processors, Hameers's 'X86-64' architexture is an evolutionary step bases on the exisiting x86-32 architecture, It means that hammer can run all the existing 32 bit apps without any difficulty.

What does this entail for the common user? little or nothing, for the most part sice there arent any true blue "64 bit desktop applications" that can take advantage of this technology at the moment.. The real need for 64-bit processors is with sceince and research. for most typical purposes, a 32 bit processor is more than adequate.

Hammer should only be able to run ordinary 32 bit applications a little faster.

However, a weide and fast availability of 64 bit optimised applications can, even now, tilt the scales in favour of hammer, the answer only if we get a recomplied version of Photoshop or an optimised Maya and more importantly, an early release of a 64 bit optimised OS. Unless some of this happens the Pentium 4 will by all counts reign supreme!

sorry about the spellings,, just typing a bit fast....

Last edited by tariqrf; 23-03-2003 at 08:16 AM.
# 3 23-03-2003 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber

Re: AMD Hammer Processors

Originally posted by MKess007
The new AMD Hammer Processors are coming out very soon. I read like the end of april! I believe they are gonna be call AMD Operon or something like that.
Its can run at 64bits so that will be awesome and it's supposed to be "realitivly cheap."

1.... Sorry to say, but they are coming out near October...user added image user added image

2....If the current Bartons (XP 3000) are $600, imagine the Hammer (XP 3500) user added image

I was really hoping to get me one but I'm not waiting for October

-Emo

# 4 25-03-2003 , 09:32 PM
actually, the hammer will be cheaper to fab then the current modified (overclocked) barton core chips, i.e xp 2800, 3000, and etc..... for the most part the cost is factored in on how many cpu's fab facilities can crank out in one standard eight or ten inch Si wafer. Supposedly , AMD can crank out more Hammer processors on a standard size wafer then they can of the Barton core line. The more then can make on one standard wafer the less the price will be. Obviously with it being new to the market it will be pricey, but not as high as most of you think. The only chip that can possibly compete with the Hammer ( though it would lose bad) is the Xeon by Intel. but at 2K+ per pop, who the hell wants to buy that shit. Supposedly, after doing some research, AMD is looking to sell the Hammers at first market price any where from 500 to 700 US dollars a pop, but there has been speculation of it being cheaper then 500. So lets all cross our fingers and hope. This chip will be an animators dream, or graphics artist dream, how ever you tend to look at, and it will be Intel's nightmare.

Lets hope for the best

Regards,

Andrew

# 5 25-03-2003 , 11:02 PM
gotta love competition user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 26-03-2003 , 12:13 AM
SM Alumni
some interesting points raised... if AMD really undercut Intel by that much then we could see a nice new price war which is always good for us user added image

Opteron (the 64bit server chip) is in fact due soon.
Athlon 64 (the desktop chip) is Q4 this year.

# 7 26-03-2003 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
Opteron will stiff up the competition as it supports the 32 bit apps... and will be cheaper... way cheaper than Itanium... so intel will have to butcher their prices if they have to stay in competition.. muahahaha.. that means, we all will have more money to spend on other stuff like gfx cards and things... oooh.. cant wait to do my next upgrade and throw my 2.53 gig processor

# 8 26-03-2003 , 02:44 PM
Throw your 2.53 processor this way please!! user added image I'm "only" on a Athlon TBird 1.2Ghz... ahh the joys of studentship lol

# 9 26-03-2003 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
hehe.. i will put the 2.53 on the 2nd computeri have.... will get a 2.8 shortly

LOL