Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-04-2003 , 11:49 AM

Castle/Fort whatever you wanna call it.

There are too many pics to post on here, so I just put them up on yahoo photos

Sorry for the extra trouble, but try

https://photos.yahoo.com/nspiratn

Feedback please user added image

thanks a lot,
~nspiratn.

~nspiratn
# 2 19-04-2003 , 01:26 PM
Hi they look good, are they to be low poly models? it's just that there seems to be a lot of hard edges from what I can see. You may want to bevel out these edges a bit.

The pics all seem far too dark, are you using a GI script or are you lighting in some other manner? boost your lights a little bit so we can see a bit more detail

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 19-04-2003 , 02:11 PM
hi

thanks for the tip.

I did boost the lights too. Hope it helps.

~nspiratn

~nspiratn
# 4 19-04-2003 , 04:21 PM
ok you've made a good start with the texturing but there are a couple of probs I can see (Dont get dishearetened i've been trying to map my current WIP for 2 days now!! user added image) I've circled the problems in red (sorry for messing up your pics!) just to highlight the problem areas.

With the goblets pic you need to do different planar maps on the sides as they are at too much of an angle to be properly mapped by the one on the top. That is why you are seeing a stretching effect. You may be able to fix this by playing with the UVs and moving them around till it looks ok.

In the second one main problem is that the texture across the table repeats too much and thus doesnt look real. Is this a UV map or a procedural? If it's uv make a bigger more detailed map. If it's procedural then adjust the properties so that it doesnt look like it repeats.

For more detail on the table what about adding bumps and scratches etc. Make it look used and damaged. You can do this with bump, specular and displacement maps.

If you need any help with any of this I'll be glad to help you out
Alan

IMDB
# 5 19-04-2003 , 06:49 PM
Thanks a lot for that. I will make the required corrections to the texture map user added image I was just being a little lazy and that's why I didnt fix the sides of the goblets table.

And I will definately tweak some settings with the dining table map.

~nspiratn
# 6 19-04-2003 , 07:14 PM
Ok... worked on it...

What do you think about these?

(attached)

~nspiratn
# 7 19-04-2003 , 07:41 PM
yeah that's more like it!!!! user added image I know what you mean about being lazy with the maps I am too but it's those sort of things that can really damage your work! get some finer details in the top one and it will look great.

I think that the bottom one the texture is still a bit big for it, bearing in mind the size of the candle holder. SO i would change the table texture or scale the candle sticks! user added image

looks good though you seem to be getting to grips with it pretty quickly well done!
user added image

IMDB