Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-06-2003 , 09:47 AM

movement constraint

hi, i was wondering how do constrain an object so it can only move a certan amount

example: i have a lever on a wall that i want to contrain so it can only rotate up and down without it continuing on trought the wall

is there a feature for that?

Thanx for the help

# 2 29-06-2003 , 01:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
Set Driven Key could be one solution.

If you'd like, you could use a simple skeleton rig for the handle and you can limit the joint rotation.

Probably a few other ways you could do it.

Good luck!

# 3 30-06-2003 , 12:20 AM
thanx mtmckinley but i'd rather not use a skeleton, i could try using set driven key

i thougt i saw a different way in a tutorial some where but i can't remeber where it was or how to do it user added image

any other ideas would be nice

# 4 30-06-2003 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
Set driven key would be your best bet... very easy and you need no skeleton. Theres a free video on this site that explains how. Anyways.. other than that, i really dont know how. I dont see why set driven key would not work though.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 5 30-06-2003 , 04:48 AM
Guys you are way over complicating this.

Go to your attributes tab and open the limit information planel. In there you can limit 2 axis to min=0 and max=0, and limit the third axis so your object doesn't go through the wall.

# 6 30-06-2003 , 06:19 AM
Nice trick Dann. Also, if your lever goes further than you set it to by setting the key, go to your Graph Editor, select the object, and change its motion type to Lineral.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 7 30-06-2003 , 07:30 AM
thanx dann thats exactly what i was lloking for

your a life saver :bow:

i cant belive i've never seen that before user added image