Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 28-07-2003 , 11:48 PM
Subscriber
doh!!!
stupid me sorry. I havnt had my morning dose of caffeine yet.

here's a better picture

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 28-07-2003 , 11:57 PM
Ah I see ... I wonder what it works for?
Very cool model by the way.

# 18 29-07-2003 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber
thx adl

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 19 29-07-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
The 'thing' on the front is a reactive flash suppressor, normally found on the M82 and 90 series. The Americans call it a muzzle brake.

It's basically there to ensure even distribution of expelled gases to ensure stability and to minimise flash and smoke. You can date the rifle by the shape of the brake - they were originally double round cross sections, now they are double rectangles. Snipers use suppressors on the Barret series to enhance stability and to minimise the chances of being spotted. It's not the same as a silencer.

Not sure if you are trying for a realistic model so no crits to offer really, apart from the foregrip on most Barrets is more like a 6 sided cylinder than a square.

# 20 29-07-2003 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys,

Witchy how do you know that stuff? I bet he has one of his own, and at night....... user added image user added image user added image

Anyways made some progress. Removed one handle and added another. I just thought that the first version made it look sissy. Than removed that big thing at the front (thx witchy for explaining) but added just a bit of my own.

You might see it has some crapy textures on it but I just got bored and sort of maucked around to make a toy render (some toy eh?user added image ).

I'm still going to do the realistic render and the animate it shooting and firing some rockets. Any ideas how i can make some textures. Maybe a photoshop tut somewhere? Because I am hopeless. user added image user added image user added image

That's about it from me.

p.s bullets look cool......i think

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 29-07-2003 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
one more view.

if anyone cares it's polys and there are almost 27000 of them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 29-07-2003 , 06:07 AM
Subscriber
and finally a wire bfore i go and have dinner

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 29-07-2003 , 12:12 PM

Originally posted by aldudeau
Witchy how do you know that stuff?

Hehehe, that's just the tip of the iceberg. But be warned, once you get him wound up, he takes a while to wind down and you'll get much more info that you should ever want or need user added image He's always been our nerd, now he can be all nerdy here too.

# 24 29-07-2003 , 01:17 PM
Howdy Nat, I would have put it that he's a font of knowledge, tap him and sup on his teet of interlect user added image

# 25 29-07-2003 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
cool gun aldudeau
--
just a suggestion maybe a new texture job - the one you have makes the gun look really "cartoony"

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 26 29-07-2003 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
What can I say, once a nerd always a nerd.

I don't have one but I have fired one (an M82 on a military training area). I'm not a gun 'fan', it's a professional interest. Mostly done in the daytime user added image

# 27 29-07-2003 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
lol

mumbojumbo i agree about the textures. this is just a 5 minute job but i'n going to do the realistic textures (i don't know how but...).

c ya

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 28 01-08-2003 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
Witchy was very helpful on my APC (Armoured personell carrier) when i decided to add a turret cannon. I post a WIP of the turret and out comes a paragraph about turrets and pod mortar launchers and the like. Good to know cause i love armour, and weaponry and i'm SURE a project in the future will be fueled by his virtual cornacopia of weapon related knowledge.

Thank you so much for changing the pic quality. Much better now.

Crits:
The handgrips look very outta place, they should be more boxy(i know, were usually try to stray from boxyness) maybe with some finger indentations.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2