Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-10-2003 , 04:03 PM

Dual processors vs SINGLE processor wich is better?

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my pc and dont have the bugdet to buy a super server, animation wise,wich is better dual or single.

thanks in advance

# 2 08-10-2003 , 07:11 PM

I'm working very well now!

Hi tank,

I have a Dual AMD 2000 XP modified to MP with 1Gb of Ram
Ati 8500 LE. It's fantastic!

It's the cheapest, i think.

ciao

# 3 08-10-2003 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
2 is better than 1 and 4 is better than 2.
Get a Quad, i saw one the other day. I'll try to find it again. user added image

However on a budget i'd get a Dual Athlon MP.

# 4 08-10-2003 , 07:56 PM
hehe That would cost a gazilion dollars!!!! dont u think?....

Im talking dual for the non rich community....user added image

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 5 08-10-2003 , 08:11 PM
Subscriber
Yeah it would but we can still dream.

Last edited by ckyuk; 08-10-2003 at 08:13 PM.
# 6 08-10-2003 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
how about dual opretons?
They are not really that expensive and deliver awesome performance

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 7 09-10-2003 , 09:30 AM
animation wise you wont use the second cpu in your life (only renderwise) so animation wise go buy the most powerful graphic card you can afford...

# 8 09-10-2003 , 09:49 AM

Originally posted by dragonfx
animation wise you wont use the second cpu in your life (only renderwise) so animation wise go buy the most powerful graphic card you can afford...

Egg-zactly...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 09-10-2003 , 02:17 PM

Originally posted by dragonfx

Hi dragon

Let me get this straight...when rendering animation (that's my final goal here) i dont need dual processors? why? we still have to go thru the batch render program or im wrong?

and if this is true, Maya uses only 2 cpus when render in a scene?
(No movement involved)

I'm confuse now....user added image

# 10 09-10-2003 , 03:17 PM
you dont need them but it will be faster, what they are saying is that when you are using maya you will only be using one CPU at any time. Id spend the money on the graphics card and more RAM unless you are going to be rendering massive scenes. To be honest a dual is probably overkill unless you really really need it. A single CPU will be fine. I use a P3 700Mhz with 256mbs RAM at home and it's fine for what I do there (I use a 2.4 Ghz with a gig of RAM at work and I dont even need that much power).

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 09-10-2003 , 03:42 PM
I recently lashed out and bought a dual Xeon 2.8GHz with 1gig ram. My render times halved. Also if your often multitasking, a dual really comes in handy. Try burning a cd and rendering at the same time on a single.

Although its overkill for most people I love it user added image

# 12 09-10-2003 , 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
you dont need them but it will be faster, what they are saying is that when you are using maya you will only be using one CPU at any time. Id spend the money on the graphics card and more RAM unless you are going to be rendering massive scenes. To be honest a dual is probably overkill unless you really really need it. A single CPU will be fine. I use a P3 700Mhz with 256mbs RAM at home and it's fine for what I do there (I use a 2.4 Ghz with a gig of RAM at work and I dont even need that much power).

Alan

what kind of card u have at home and office?

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 13 09-10-2003 , 07:16 PM
So you guys are saying that XP doesn't multi-thread apps on its own? If that's the case, then I'd never buy a DP desktop PC. Seems rather pointless.

OS X is completely multi-threaded, and utilized both processors all the time. There is never an instance when you are only utilizing one processor. Although not all programs are multi-threaded in OS X, but the ones that are, Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc... really benefit from the second processor in realtime, as well as rendering. But everything that is running in OS X is configured by the OS to run across both processors. But it helps more if apps are specifically written for it.

Let me get this straight...when rendering animation (that's my final goal here) i dont need dual processors? why? we still have to go thru the batch render program or im wrong?

and if this is true, Maya uses only 2 cpus when render in a scene?
(No movement involved)

I'm confuse now...

Two processors make rendering faster. And no you don't have to use the batch renderer to utilize both processors, as long as they are in the same machine. Just tell Maya how many processors you want it to use when rendering, and that's it. Pretty simple. At least that's how it is on my DP unit using Maya for OS X. I don't know how it works on PC's, but I'm sure it's the same.

However, there are limits to using two processors for rendering, at least on a Mac. For some raytracing scenes, you would need to make a batch render of your scene and flag each processor to render different frames (odd/even). That way there isn't a bottleneck of trying to process/access too much info at once. I don't remember the script, but it's on Alias old forums, if they still exist.

# 14 09-10-2003 , 07:40 PM

Originally posted by wchamlet
So you guys are saying that XP doesn't multi-thread apps on its own? If that's the case, then I'd never buy a DP desktop PC. Seems rather pointless.

OS X is completely multi-threaded, and utilized both processors all the time. There is never an instance when you are only utilizing one processor. Although not all programs are multi-threaded in OS X, but the ones that are, Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc... really benefit from the second processor in realtime, as well as rendering. But everything that is running in OS X is configured by the OS to run across both processors. But it helps more if apps are specifically written for it.

Two processors make rendering faster. And no you don't have to use the batch renderer to utilize both processors, as long as they are in the same machine. Just tell Maya how many processors you want it to use when rendering, and that's it. Pretty simple. At least that's how it is on my DP unit using Maya for OS X. I don't know how it works on PC's, but I'm sure it's the same.

However, there are limits to using two processors for rendering, at least on a Mac. For some raytracing scenes, you would need to make a batch render of your scene and flag each processor to render different frames (odd/even). That way there isn't a bottleneck of trying to process/access too much info at once. I don't remember the script, but it's on Alias old forums, if they still exist.

You are right on maya you can define how many prcessors it will use, my confusion was on the animation part, Maya will use 2 processor as define in the configuration to render the animated scenes better than 1 right?

So now my question is two cpu's of 1.x ghz have better performance than one 2.x ghz.

if so then 1 fast cpu will have better performance on maya than 2 slow ones....right?

thanks again!!!

# 15 09-10-2003 , 07:46 PM
Well from what I gather from the other people in this thread is, one fast processor (IE P4) is as fast as a dual processor setup (Xeon) while you are working in the app. As for rendering, I guess it still depends. The P4 with hyperthreading I've heard is quite amazing, and will probably kick the pants off any 1 ghz or so DP system (on the PC side). But I'm not all that familiar with PC's, so you might want to look into that further.

My opinion though, is get a P4... 2.8 Ghz with hyperthreading, and you'll be satisfied.