Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 91 20-11-2003 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Witchy,

I'd be only to glad to pass on a few tips on this process, maybe I'll try to do a "making of" when it's finnished. I still feel though that I'm simply learning and am not sure if I'm that confident yet in my abilities to start proper online tutorials or guides. Maybe a brief breakdown of the procedure and the valuable lessons I've learned.

Pony,

the textures are 2048 x 2048, I'd go even higher but I do my painting an my old G3 mac, as my even older Wacom doesn't work on my PC. Anything higher than that and the painting process slows down too much, waiting for the brush to update.

# 92 20-11-2003 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
2048x2048 is good though for a face. Well I have to hand it to you your attintion to the detail is great for handpainting !!

# 93 20-11-2003 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Pony,

I do love to paint, one day when I'm old and copletley grey I'll drop my computer and go back to canvas, my first love user added image

# 94 20-11-2003 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber
Really nice Chris, he's impressive. Try and break-up that specular with a map into the specular color. A diffuse map will help too and try a darkish red one for the translucence user added image

# 95 20-11-2003 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
Thanks a lot for that Ice Queen.
I'll give it a go tonight.

Btw, got that book and the extended Two Towers DVD yesterday, I'm one seriously happy bunny user added image

# 96 20-11-2003 , 05:30 AM
Subscriber
One thing i see when i look at this is that i feel there should be some more detail around the eyes. My attention goes straight to the eyes whenever I look at it, the actual model itself is great but i feel that those eyelids are almost incomplete and as it gets closer to the actual eye it needs more detail. Also the eye itself looks quite crisp, but almost not liquidy and soft enough (imho). Thats the only thing i really see that i would fix in this head of gollum.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 97 20-11-2003 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the input M, much appreciated!

I will have a go at getting more detail into the eyes with my displacement map. I also agree about the eyes, the further the texturing is progressing, the more out of place they are looking.

Thanks again,

Chris

# 98 20-11-2003 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber

# 99 20-11-2003 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
Looking much better, not so plasticy, bit dark though, think he's got light thin looking skin with loads of imperfections.

# 100 21-11-2003 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Ice Queen,

you're right, he definitely needs more imperfections. Will lightening the maps a little make his skin appear thinner? I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Chris

# 101 22-11-2003 , 09:42 AM
Woah dude, i'd say that head is virging on photo realistic :| that is fantastic! great work!!!

# 102 22-11-2003 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
Hay Chris, the thinning the bump map some dose sound like a good idea. thin skin isn't so ruff. Unless your going for that. Just sounded like a good Idea so I thought I would put my vote in.. LOL. I will say the wrinkles on the eye lids are a bit to deep and regular. Twere it up to me I would put, instead of strait across, I would have them Y off sometimes.. more like lightly folded fabric ? know what I mean.. also its missing the really moist, pinkish ledge that is just even with the eye lashes..

BTW looking so good. I like the age spots you can see real good on his scalp.

# 103 22-11-2003 , 10:33 PM
very very very awesome job.... a bit of livelyness to the eyes.... and it'll be quiet hard to differentiate from a real creature..... hmmm.... user added image

# 104 23-11-2003 , 02:07 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys, great advice! as allways, and much appreciated.

Decided to leave the head for a while as I was starting to lose sight of what it needed. Needed a break from it I think.

You're right Pony, I'm still none to happy with the area around the eyes, and the eyes themselves. Must get those settings down to a more realistic look! Good tip about the moist area on the eye lid and the folds too Pony, I'll have a go at that soon.

For the moment I'm just starting to paint up his body, although I'm not entirely happy with the uv layout. May need some further adjustment yet. I might post it later and ask for tips if I can't sort it myself.

Btw, Pony, the horse is looking great, looking forward to more texture updates.

# 105 23-11-2003 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
Chris I hear yeah.. I'm starting to get that way about the horse. I keep on starting to think about modeling Arwen. But I still have much that is needed on just the horse.. finish the texture, the leg, main and tail.. etc.. (grumbles)

Well good luck with the body. Hay post it anyway, I like watching your stuff as it evolves.. if you don't want the tips you could just tell me to duck tape my self. LOL