Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-11-2003 , 08:21 PM

OK here goes newbie question

I have just gotten Maya 4.5 all i could afford at moment.
I am trying to work with avi and motion picture work.
My question is this, I wish to have an image plane be of not an image but of an actual avi so that i can then create a video scene over it incorporating the two scenes is this possible?
I know in true space it will allow me to have an avi running as the background whil i creat an animation over it. I just think maya is 100 times the program for 3d than true space hence the question.
Thanks in advance.

I hope at some point to get involved with the competitions and interaction with the group so any help on how Id appreciate
again still learning Maya here
pup

# 2 27-11-2003 , 06:48 PM
yeah you can but I've never managed to get it working. You can simply apply the avi as a movie texture in the hypershade an d then apply it to a poly or nurbs plane.

That's probably the easiest way to do it.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 27-11-2003 , 07:46 PM
Raunch, can you clarify if you're trying to make an animated texture or if you're trying to bring in source video footage for reference to build a scene? For example, if you're modeling a tv, you can map an animated texture to the screen as pure_morning suggested.

On the other hand, if you're trying to bring in reference footage to build your models to, you would more-than-likely use Maya live (if you have 4.5 unlimited) or other matchmoving software.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 29-11-2003 , 05:38 PM

thanx

I got it to work with help of Mike McKinley's tutorial thanks all

# 5 05-12-2003 , 05:49 PM
Maya Live will be the best procedure