Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-12-2003 , 07:07 PM
Subscriber

Quadro4 980XGL w/Maya w/Dual Screens???

Is anyone using this setup? If so, does it work well? I am planning on purchasing this.

# 2 12-12-2003 , 06:12 AM
hey,.
I don't use that, and never tried(would LOVE to though.. user added image ),.... but, once I was at the computer show in NY and they had this computer with 4 screens... ummm I'm not sure what card there was inside, but it looked like the whole video didn't have to do with any other programs... It just worked like it usually does.. in 1 screen mode... you just drag the program window through, and it appears on the other one... kinda cool... lol
perhaps wait for some more responces.... (I wouldn't trust myself if I were you.... ) user added image

# 3 12-12-2003 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
I am so looking forward to this PC... I'm going to be building it myself it's taken me about 2 months to research and select all the components. Here's the basics:

MB: Abit IC7-MAX3 (i875 chipset)
Proc: P4-C 3.2MHz FSB800
Mem: 2GB = 2x Corsair TwinX 2x512 Low Latency
HDD: 2xMaxtor 80GB SATA (RAID-0)
GFX: Quadro 4 980XGL
2x17" Samsung LCD monitors running at 1280x1024

I have the order saved on the website I am ordering from.... if someone replies positively about the 980XGL on 2 monitors with Maya, I'll click "ORDER" and then wait very impatiently!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 13-12-2003 , 02:25 AM
looks like a very cute machine you'll get there... hehe....
but if I had some $$... as a computerholic, I'd get at least 1 SCSI HDD for the system and Maya, and the other 1 or 2(regular ones) for the storage...
and 2 geg or Ram is REALLY nice.. !!!.. not sure what 'Low Latency' means,.. but 800Mghz.... would go beasty!!...
hehe... user added image

# 5 17-12-2003 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
Well, I submitted the orders yesterday, so it should be arriving soon user added image I'll post pix and benchmarks after the build - shortly after Christmas, I guess.

Originally posted by LSphinx
looks like a very cute machine you'll get there... hehe....
but if I had some $$... as a computerholic, I'd get at least 1 SCSI HDD for the system and Maya, and the other 1 or 2(regular ones) for the storage...
and 2 geg or Ram is REALLY nice.. !!!.. not sure what 'Low Latency' means,.. but 800Mghz.... would go beasty!!...
hehe... user added image

The "Low Latency" memory is memory that is tested and certified at the factory to allow more agressive memory timings... which means I can set it up to run FAST FAST FAST! user added image

# 6 18-12-2003 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
Nuxley did you not think about going AMD64bit way?
You could have covered yourelf for the near future.

"When 64-bit technology matures and catches up software wise gamers, artists, musicians and those doing professional graphic such as CAD and MAYA will be in for a treat as realism will be more visually realized in the 64-bit environment. I think AMD deserves credit here as this is one bold move on their behalf and shows the direction of the company changing from a here and now attitude to one of looking toward the forthcoming future leaps of technology."

Good read comparing P4 with G5 and AMD64FX...

https://www.alienware.com/review_pag...cworld_1203.asp

grrrr
# 7 18-12-2003 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
I did consider it, however I'm of the opinion that 64bit technology is still somewhat in it's infancy. At some point Intel will decide which direction they wish to take with 64-Bit technology. Either they will develop their X86 system into the 64bit arena (like AMD) or bring their IA-64 (a-la Titanium processors) into the mainstream. Until then, I dont think there'll be any rush on the part of software developers to react to the 64 bit market. Of course, I could be wrong.

My decision is that I'd rather have the best 32 bit technology available today and wait for a couple of years to see what happens to the 64 bit market before making the switch.