Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-12-2003 , 07:16 PM

Need a lil help on getting started...

What would be a good project to learn from as I do it?
I'm having a lot of trouble just deciding what to try and model.

# 2 24-12-2003 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber
WEll, it depends what you want. You can start trying to make a low poly character for a game. When you've got the idea for the character how to look, draw side and front picture for reference in the scene, and just go and try to model. what your pictures/concept carefully, and try to model it. You may not be setisfied with your work, but you'll gain important experience, which is verry important thing.

# 3 24-12-2003 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
If you downloaded the free videos on the site, I'd say the simple man movie is a good one to start out on from Kiven,, Excellent starting point for beginners user added image

# 4 29-12-2003 , 03:50 AM
When I first started using Maya, I went through those several tutors that Maya came with (just to get the hang of it). Then i started modeling objects that are in front of me (on my desk), then texturing them, arranging them in a box that represented the room and finaly doing a render. All of this, naturaly, was done in low poligon with simple textures, but it helped me develop my own way of thinking about Maya and helped me gain experience which is, as Sil-Valeor mentioned above, very important. This was my way of getting to Maya, but you can find many good movies to download on this site, as well as other resources on the web. Whichever way you choose it is important to take it slow and don't be dissapointed if you cannot reproduce someone's tutorial identically. It is better to follow the tutorial along just by using the technique explained, but making something yours and different.

# 5 29-12-2003 , 12:52 PM
I agree!

The video-tutorials on this site is great.

Another place to find both 'newb' and 'higher level' tuts., is in the tutorial database

Good luck :-)

*edited by admin

# 6 29-12-2003 , 07:28 PM
I think there is a very nice tutorial of a hand ... and it's not that hard to do, it has plenty of new stuff for you to get a hold of... I would suggest doing it.. user added image

# 7 29-12-2003 , 10:53 PM
Kevin
please check the tutorial database on this site before adding links that have been added many times before

Thx chaps