Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 05-02-2008 , 08:22 AM
triple post now, oh well.

Here is my first attempts using the sub surface scattering in conjunction with this model

Attached Thumbnails

The Swindler
Critty please? With sugar on top?
# 17 06-02-2008 , 06:58 AM
the last pic of the glowing ears (SSS attempt) is the only one of the thread that i can see, and it looks pretty good, although i think you might wanna tone it down a little. in real life people's ears don't really glow with translucency just cause light is hitting them... maybe a flashlight directly on the other side, but not just standing around in a well-lit room.

Accept no substitutions.
# 18 06-02-2008 , 08:54 AM
I think that you would be best off setting up a decent 3 point lighting set up bfeore going into adjusting the SSS.

At the moment the SSS on the lower level looks like the weight is set too high and as its lit just form the back its making it look too blown out, if you set up a nice lighting rig so that you can see your model lit then you'll be aboe to tune i a lot more easily and get a better judgement of the overall look.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 06-02-2008 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
it would have made a great advertisement for TDK back in the 80s.

TDK does amazing thns, TDK does amazing things TDK does amazing things to your system user added image

they were great effects for their day.

you certainly have a bit of SSS going on there user added image looks like someone just got an bit of an ear bashing user added image

great silhouette

take it easy and life will be easy
# 20 06-02-2008 , 05:09 PM
Heh, it's got a spotlight on the other side and adirectional from above and to the left. I was just making sure that it isn't going to shine right through his head. I'm using the sss as the basis for my texturing of him, seeing as it allows veins and such to be easily applied.
Should I do as much with wrinkles on the skin now, or later? I've heard two different views of this, any comments?

The Swindler
# 21 06-02-2008 , 05:51 PM
It dosnet look like a nice lighting set up to show of the model , hence the overblown SSS, to be honest I would just texture and make all the details before messing with lighting and materials, otherwise your going to end up doing more work after youve added the textures and wrinkles

# 22 06-02-2008 , 07:12 PM
Why wouldn't having a sss be the basis of my texturing work? I can use standard texturing on the surface layer, bump and specular are readily available and easy to set up with the fast_simple, and then I can add necessary sub surface details without a lot of effort later on. It should be a timesaver.

The Swindler
# 23 06-02-2008 , 10:12 PM
I always take making the texture as the basis, then go onto the "bells and whistles" cos you can disguise textures by manipulating materials. Get a good base and understanding of what the material properties do and make the textures to suit before going onto the actual material settings as the tones of the texture maps will make agreat influence on the overall look, especially using something as complex as the SSS.

Also youve not shown your fast simple renders, youve gone from an occlusion to an SSS that dosent really show the model, so you might have put in work but not shown it which throws judgement off.....

# 24 07-02-2008 , 08:27 AM
Well, sadly that's all I can do for a while. I have to go to the Mayo clinic now, so maybe I can get a diagnosis. Thanks for the imput.

The Swindler
# 25 07-02-2008 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
mayo clinic..?? whats that??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 26 13-02-2008 , 07:19 AM
Big specialized research and diagnosis hospital in northern US. I've been sick for more than 2 years, gonna go and get some answers.

The Swindler