Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-05-2011 , 01:58 AM

Model all black or new artifacts showing?? Lost all my painting and texuring!!!

Hi,

I am having some problems with Maya and Mudbox also user added image(((

I work on my model, apply color and texture on it using either Maya or Mudbox or using mudbox and importing it into Maya.

It looked great, render it and leave it for a few weeks and come back to open the same file again.

In Maya:
I have either
- all this mulitcoloured artifacts, patches etc, on my model,
- my model all looks black
- I have lost the texture I added to my model using images and is now grey

In Mud box:
The model is either
- bare, lost all my paint and texture applied
- either all white

I have not touched, renamed or moved any files. Left the file location as it is though I can understand that moving files could cause this.

How do I restore my old paints, textures to my model in Maya and Mudbox.

I am worried, I spent a whole semester in school to do my painting and texturing of my model and now it is all gone.

Thanks for any help user added image

# 2 14-05-2011 , 06:35 AM
The thin red line
It sounds like the UVs have been moved, can you see the UVs layed out in the UV editor, check that out first and get back to us, always include a shot of the problem as its easier for people to see whats going on...........dave

# 3 14-05-2011 , 01:01 PM

It sounds like the UVs have been moved, can you see the UVs layed out in the UV editor, check that out first and get back to us, always include a shot of the problem as its easier for people to see whats going on...........dave

That's what I thought as well, but I have not changed the files structure though?

How do you experts usually move your files around when you are working on a project and have to use different computers? I mean once you move the files to another computer, the drive names and paths are different.

I would like to know the correct method of saving files so that I can use the same project on different computers without losing any of the work I have done.

Like with Illustrator you can embed the images you use in a design into the AI file. How does it work with Maya?

# 4 14-05-2011 , 10:13 PM
The thin red line
No I dont mean you have moved the texture file, click on the object then look in the UV editor are the UVs set out as you did them?.........dave

# 5 15-05-2011 , 03:01 PM
I can see it in the UV Editor and when I turn on hardware texturing, I can see it looks right. Only when I render it, does it show up with a blank render.

# 6 15-05-2011 , 03:11 PM
The thin red line
Post a shot please in hardware and render.......dave

# 7 16-05-2011 , 09:10 AM
I have managed to get it running on my Macbook pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo. A little sluggish but it works and renders o.k. thought a little lengthy. I had to relocate all the materials manually. Thanks for the guidance user added image

Now on my PC, I think the problem is the video card.
I have an i7 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, 9600gt video card.
I have turned of third buffering, lowered to 16bit color, antialias off and lowered the resolution to 1440 X 900 and now my screen is all multicolored and is acting funny.

Is there anyway of fixing this, or assigning more ram to the software. I look at my performance in the task manager and its hardly using much memory or processing power?

When it renders, it produces a blank screen on the render window.

What I do not understand is, the 9600gt is a better card than what my macbook pro core2duo has.

Why does the Mac run O.K. and on my faster PC it has problems.

Any helped thanked!

Last edited by mayaday; 16-05-2011 at 09:16 AM.
# 8 16-05-2011 , 09:49 AM
The thin red line
It sounds like a graphics card problem, have you update the driver for the card.........dave

# 9 16-05-2011 , 11:28 AM
I have updated the driver.

Good:
The artifacts when I have it in 32bit color has gone

Bad:
Still produces a blank render. Even if I start a new scene and create a new shape and render it. It produces a blank screen. So it might not be the card now.

I am using the low quality small screen size rendering settings.

I have noticed on the bottom screen of Maya in red it sais:
//Error:Set Parent: "Object Render View" not found

Last edited by mayaday; 16-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
# 10 16-05-2011 , 12:14 PM
The thin red line
Are you running maya 2012 as there looks like a problem with this in 2012.......dave

# 11 16-05-2011 , 12:17 PM
The Nurb Herd
maybe try typing

Code:
buildNewSceneUI
in the command line, and rendering again. Not sure if it will work, but i've seen that error before. not sure how i fixed it tho.

edit: read the error again. not the one i was thinking of. ignore me.

# 12 21-10-2011 , 02:45 AM

I can see it in the UV Editor and when I turn on hardware texturing, I can see it looks right. Only when I render it, does it show up with a blank render.

Did you get this fixed?
I'm may be having the same issue...

today I hit render:
using mental ray and only got a black screen.
tried maya software and also got a black screen.
Tried maya vector and got a black screen.
tried maya hardware and it rendered...

is that what you where describing?

# 13 21-10-2011 , 02:48 AM

...Still produces a blank render. Even if I start a new scene and create a new shape and render it. It produces a blank screen. So it might not be the card now....

Same with me...

Daverave, what's this about 2012 have a simslar issue?

Win 7, i7-930, geforce 9800 GTX+ Maya 2011

# 14 06-07-2013 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried clicking on your object and open up the UV Texture Editor, under the Texture rollout you should see your texture in a list. Click on the right texture that is the same the assigned texture.
Should pop into your viewport right away.