Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 09-11-2008 , 10:59 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
threw in some color of what the final image sholud look like

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 10-11-2008 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by murambi
i have no idea how to do.

inside Benny's chess WIP is GecT's answer to command line rendering

since it was on page two of the WIP threads i found it for you :p
i should save this link myself....

what does your light rig look like?
looks like you have one point light in the middle there, and i'm gonna guess you have a few directional lights right?

When GecT said to use stand in geometry that's probably the best idea so far for your scene because, as you say, it's pretty heavy on the poly count.

stand in geometry is just substitution blocks coloured with the materials they substitute (i think)

use it to block out your lights, and you'll get your lights set up quicker and better

also i hope you're going to make your seats look a little more comfortable... the reflections make them look like they are hard... but i could be wrong, i've just never seen reflective seats before

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 10-11-2008 , 02:07 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
its just one phong material thats why everything looks abit shiny
ok so trying this fg gi method and im already encountering problems first heres my lighting setup pliz tell me if its wrong

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 10-11-2008 , 02:19 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
heres the image and im finding it to be way too bright at the windows is there anyway of reducing the brightness and increase the overall lighting of the scene

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 10-11-2008 , 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

heres the image and im finding it to be way too bright at the windows is there anyway of reducing the brightness and increase the overall lighting of the scene

Yep. Tone mapping. Slap an exposure lens shader on the camera and make your adjustments. About the materials, I wouldn't suggest you do too much to them yet as it could cause your render times to take a hit, you can have some transparent objects for the sake of allowing light through but other than that, you can stick to lamberts.

- Genny
# 21 11-11-2008 , 01:38 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
gec t take me slowly i cant understand half of what you said when i said im a noob i ment a complete dummy when it comes to this

Tone mapping. Slap an exposure lens shader on the camera and make your adjustment

how do you do this

# 22 11-11-2008 , 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Under the camera's shape tab there's an MR section with a lens shader slot, there's also a subsection where you can just pile on the lens shaders, its up to you. The help files do a pretty decent job of explaining it, do a search for tone mapping. Also for the of sake test speed, you may want to hold off on the FG until you get the GI photons acting just righty, plus this is a pretty large image for a test, you may be setting yourself up for headaches.

- Genny
# 23 15-11-2008 , 03:47 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
been playing aound with tone mapping and i have realized it its up so much time this image took up 7hours

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 22-11-2008 , 02:26 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
tweeked the lighting abit nuthin major

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 22-11-2008 , 06:02 PM
Subscriber
that looks pretty cool. you can see the edges on the left wall though. are they hard?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 23-11-2008 , 04:38 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
yup havent smoothed anything i think it would put a strain on my machine that it just cant handle....

# 27 23-11-2008 , 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

yup havent smoothed anything i think it would put a strain on my machine that it just cant handle....

This is why I had mentioned low res replacements for testing, I think it would've made life easier. As far as the lighting, I think the scene is a little over lit and that the light is coming from all over ( which I think is whats killing your shadows) plus it doesn't look like artificial lighting or natural light.

- Genny