Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-06-2011 , 04:08 PM

A (most probably) very easy script...please correct!

Here I am, making my first script, using MEL Reference...but of course it is wrong, since I've never ever programmed again...

I have a surface "extrudedSurface36" which I want to duplicate 35 times around the pivot, so that I have something like a cone cage...Essentially, I want each new copy to be rotated 10 degrees, and when the copies reach 35, the script stops...here is what I have so far.

Code:
int 	$angl = 10;
	$name = 36;
string $namestring;

while ($angl<=351)
{
$namestring = "extrudedSurface",$name;
select -r $namestring;
duplicate;
rename $namestring
rotate -y 0 $angl 0;
$angl = $angl + 10;
$name++;
}
But of course it is wrong. Any ideas?user added image

# 2 01-06-2011 , 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
I see a few issues.

Line 2

Code:
$name = 36;
the variable isn't defined with a datatype. Int datatype is appropriate here.

Code:
int $name = 36;
On line 7,

Code:
$namestring = "extrudedSurface",$name;
looks like bad syntax so I'm sure that will error out. I'm guessing you want $name to count upwards from 36 for each loop executed and use it as a suffix for "extrudedSurface". In that case, line 7 should be.

Code:
$namestring = ("extrudedSurface" + $name);
The rename statement doesn't have a semi colon and you didn't give the rename command anything to work with really.

Code:
rename $namestring
It should more like...

Code:
rename $namestring $newName;

- Genny
# 3 01-06-2011 , 07:58 PM
Thanks!! That really helped me!

As for the rename, I thought the new duplicate would autoselect so that "rename" would rename the object with $namestring.

user added image

# 4 01-06-2011 , 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
You're right. Learn something new everyday. I'm used to telling Maya exactly what I want and being a tight ass about it lol.

- Genny
# 5 17-06-2011 , 06:35 PM
Simply Maya OG
I know I'm a little bit late here, but.... Can't you just duplicate with transform, and tell it to turn 10* and duplicated 35 times, and go? I mean, that seems TOO easy, so I'm probably wrong. lol

- Hybrid
# 6 17-06-2011 , 09:15 PM
I used both methods back then, the script (which didn't work and I gave up) and the Duplicate with Transform (which is awesome for chains btw!!) user added image