Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-04-2012 , 11:59 AM

ferris wheel animation help

hi

i have a model of a ferris wheel and im tring to animate it using driven keys any help

thanks

# 2 16-04-2012 , 12:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
You'll have to be more specific. We can't do the animation for you.

# 3 16-04-2012 , 12:17 PM

You'll have to be more specific. We can't do the animation for you.

the ferris wheel has a wheel and has the cars where people would sit in i think i need to set the wheel as the driver and the cars as driven but im not sure how to make it rotate i need to have the wheel moving in an anti clockwise direction and the cars moving in a clockwise direction?

# 4 16-04-2012 , 01:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Okay, if you parent your cars to the wheel, I would create a control to act as your driver. Then key the wheel 0-360 degrees and using the driver control, say 0-360 as a new "wheel rotation" attribute.
Also key the cars 0 to negative 360 using the same driver. I think that should work, if that makes sense. Best thing to do is to experiment. If you have a question about how set driven keys works, feel free to ask.

# 5 16-04-2012 , 02:18 PM

Okay, if you parent your cars to the wheel, I would create a control to act as your driver. Then key the wheel 0-360 degrees and using the driver control, say 0-360 as a new "wheel rotation" attribute.
Also key the cars 0 to negative 360 using the same driver. I think that should work, if that makes sense. Best thing to do is to experiment. If you have a question about how set driven keys works, feel free to ask.

thanks i will try it out

# 6 16-04-2012 , 02:25 PM
Technical Director
I would point constrain the cars to the wheel, then aim constrain them to the ground, instead of using set driven keys.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 16-04-2012 , 03:03 PM

I would point constrain the cars to the wheel, then aim constrain them to the ground, instead of using set driven keys.

i have to use driven keys its for an assignment

# 8 16-04-2012 , 04:02 PM

this is what i tried

select each individual cart and load as driven + select the wheel as driver and both on rotate x

i then pressed key in the driven key window at the first and last frame

i selected the carts on first frame on timeline set a key and rotatation at 0 on last frame set keyframe and rotation at -360

the same was done with the wheel but with +360

when i play the animation there's no movement Im doing something wrong somewhere sorry im a newbie

# 9 16-04-2012 , 04:29 PM

this is what i tried

select each individual cart and load as driven + select the wheel as driver and both on rotate x

i then pressed key in the driven key window at the first and last frame

i selected the carts on first frame on timeline set a key and rotatation at 0 on last frame set keyframe and rotation at -360

the same was done with the wheel but with +360

when i play the animation there's no movement Im doing something wrong somewhere sorry im a newbie

I managed to get some movement i have the wheel rotating 360 but the cars stay in the same position and just rotate 360 fixed.

# 10 16-04-2012 , 05:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well keep experimenting, it sounds like you're getting closer. If it's for an assignment we can't do it all for you.