Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-07-2012 , 04:50 AM

Strange Tweening "Spinning" Between Frames

I have a pose I made with a rigged model in maya. I pulled some of the joints around to make a pose and then wanted to alter that pose and tween the model to create a pretty basic animation.

The problem is that I copied the joint information (select hierarchy on my root joint, right click first frame, copy, right click end frame, paste) and then had two seemingly identical frames spaced apart by about 10 frames. I expected this to not cause any tween to occur (as the two keyframes are the exact same already) but much to my dismay the characters body parts seemed to spin and move in a way I did not want at all. Trying to move them around creates the same issue of spinning body parts and is impossible to really fix without setting each frame manually.

Each joint on the model has each attribute keyed and set to be equal, auto key is on.

Any ideas?

Here's a link to the file if anyone is willing to take a look at what I mean.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/m7w5kz

Last edited by edisonfloyd; 06-07-2012 at 04:58 AM.
# 2 06-07-2012 , 05:23 AM
Technical Director
I'm not sure if I understand. What's the end frame? What's the start frame? When I copy the root's hierarchy animation from frame 0, and paste it on frame 61, they look the same. However, as you said, as you scrub through, the character is not static as would be expected. This is because the original keyframes had animation tangents applied to them. To fix this, simply select your entire timeline, then right click, go to Tangents, and click Flat.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 06-07-2012 , 07:52 AM

I'm not sure if I understand. What's the end frame? What's the start frame? When I copy the root's hierarchy animation from frame 0, and paste it on frame 61, they look the same. However, as you said, as you scrub through, the character is not static as would be expected. This is because the original keyframes had animation tangents applied to them. To fix this, simply select your entire timeline, then right click, go to Tangents, and click Flat.

user added image Thanks dude that worked perfectly! Now I guess I just need to figure out why tangents exist but in the meanwhile thanks a bunch for the response, you're a super big help dude!