Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-10-2013 , 01:08 AM

IGS Export

hi i have a file to be converted to IGES Format for 3D Printing.
it has 16 lakhs polygons. If i convert it to subd its not happening. the file size is 200 MB.
Can anyone please help me. Wat i should do? its very urgent...user added image

# 2 10-10-2013 , 01:24 AM
Not sure many are going to understand what "lakhs" is. I had to look it up myself. It appears to be from a south Asian numbering system equal to 100,000 or scientific notation 10^5.

Therefore 16 lakhs would be 1.6 million polygons so one level of subdivision would be 6.4 million polygons and two levels would be 25.6 million polygons.

So yes you have a very large model indeed. I do not do any 3D printing but I have a friend and he uses STL (stereo lithography) format and commonly outputs models with tens of millions of polygons. You might try that.

The format you are trying to export to may not be the only issue though; Your system may simply not be able to handle a model this large in which case worrying about an export file format is really moot. Your options then are reduce the size of the model or increase the specs of your hardware.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-10-2013 at 01:34 AM.
# 3 10-10-2013 , 03:37 AM
thank u very much for ur reply. i need STEP or IGES format... t client is not ready for stl...if u can gv ur email id.. i would attach d file ... can u pls ask ur fried to convert this?

my system config:

AMD Opteron - 16 cores
32 GB Ram