Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-02-2014 , 03:08 AM
Lifetime Member

Cube Displacement

Hi All, Got a question (againuser added image). I'm trying to apply a displacement material to a simple poly cube. Problem is it ends up with a gap on the edges. (see picture)

What I've learned from the web is that this is caused because the normals are facing 90 degrees from each other causing the black spot.

What I'm wondering is how do I solve this problem without adding a ton of geometry to my scene? I tried beveling but that just left me with two black gaps.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 2 04-02-2014 , 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Have you tried softening the normals and also using a approximation node?

- Genny
# 3 04-02-2014 , 09:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Gen, Yes, I've been playing around with approximation editors but I'm not overly happy with the result.

After softening the normals and applying an approximation editor the cube turned into a '0' shape, so I added more geometry especially around the corners, but as you can see the corners still 'bend out' and I don't know how to fix this?

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 4 05-02-2014 , 10:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay, another weird problem. As you can see from the picture I'm rendering the brick wall in the viewport and it's rendering out with a big black section on it.

However as you can see in the UV editor the faces that are selected have a proper texture on them. Why is it doing this?????

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 08-02-2014 , 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
It helps if the base geometry has somewhat even subdivisions, it doesn't have to be a lot but give the displacement something to work with. Corner edge loops/bevels helps keep the shape but UV seams along with hard normals also play a part in breaking up displacement. You have the choice of using displacement or subdivision approximation node, both have their place.
user added imageuser added image

Left column:
corner loops
soften normals
no uv seams on corners
subdiv approx

Right column:
corner loops
hard normals
no uv seams on corners
no subdiv approx

And for the weird gaps in your second problem, it's tough to judge without looking at the scene (wrong uv set being used?).

- Genny

Last edited by Gen; 08-02-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Incomplete thought "be a lot but give the displacement something to work with. Corner edge loops/bevels..."*
# 6 08-02-2014 , 08:45 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Gen, Thanks for the examples. It seems that I've been trying to get away with too little geometry. It also proved to be the problem for the black patches, I added more geometry and it That fixed it.

Cheers, the Yeti.