Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-05-2015 , 04:07 PM

Robotic arm rigging help

Hi guys! Maybe this is a little too much to sak for, but if you don't ask you not gonna knowuser added image

Okay here we go. I am currently working on my first ever rigging project.
I wanna point out that I'm a subscriber at "Digital-tutors" and I've spent alot of hours watching rigging tutorial videos and searched the web. But I can't for my lift get this rig too behave in the way that I want it to.

Let my try explain sa best as I can (I'm refering to the 2 pictures below) and sorry for my english.

What I'm tying to accomplish is to get the Robotic arm to behave just like a real robotic arm (like KUKA's industry robots).

#1: I want the joint 6 to be controlled by a IK handle and that the rest of the joints limited to rotate only in the axis specified in picture 1. And that joint 1-2-3-4-5-6 rotate so that the "Gripper thing" (the hand of the robotic arm) always is kept in level, 90 degree angle like it is in picture 1 when conrtolling the IK Handle. And also that joint 2-3-4-5-6 always keep there joint orientation independent of each other regardless of which joint orientation joint 1 have.

#2: How do I create a control for the "gripper" so I can move the grippers in and out? Do I ues joint 7 for that or do I need to create new joints?

#3: And lastly, how do I set up the traverse crane so that when I move "number 2" (See picture 2) in the X axis, only the robot moves. And when I move "number 1" in the Z axis "number 1" and "number 2"/robot moves together?

I would really really appreciate if someone could take some time to explain these things to me. I really need some help on these qusetions.

Thanks in advace!

//KoadRilL

Picture 1: user added image
image hosting adult

Picture 2: user added image
temporary image hosting

Last edited by KoadRilL; 04-05-2015 at 05:31 PM.
# 2 05-05-2015 , 02:59 AM
EduSciVis-er
I don't have a quick answer for #1, but for #2 look into creating a driven key (set driven key) from a custom attribute (e.g. gripperCtrl). For #3 you could create a point constraint (with maintain offset on) from number 1 to number 2 and another point constraint from number to your robot. Hope that gets you in the right direction.

# 3 05-05-2015 , 08:53 AM

I don't have a quick answer for #1, but for #2 look into creating a driven key (set driven key) from a custom attribute (e.g. gripperCtrl). For #3 you could create a point constraint (with maintain offset on) from number 1 to number 2 and another point constraint from number to your robot. Hope that gets you in the right direction.

Thank you for your reply!

Okay, I'm not familiar with the set driven key. But I will look into that. I opend up Maya for the first time last week, so I have very much to learn. I'm very thanlful the any help I can get.

I did try Your method with the point constraint, but if I move "number 2" in the X axis, and then move "number 1" in the Z axis, "number 2" just snaps back to it's 0 position. How do I get around that?