Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-09-2006 , 10:47 PM

Animated Love Story(H+C=SL)

# 2 16-09-2006 , 09:47 AM
the characters didn't move too much, making the most impressive animation when the girl was on the bike and wrapped her arms around the guy. other than that, they seemed a little stiff. same with the camera movements. i'd suggest using an ease in and ease out in camera movements if you've got to use the camera. when people make movies or animations in 3d they tend to get a little camera happy and want to move it all the time. i would suggest moving the camera in the same way you would in real life... if at all, slowly and without abrupt stops... and also not for an entire take.

even though it's not related to the animation in the movie, the music was VERY distracting. i had to turn down the volume to watch it, because almost every cut of the camera had different music... you don't need a whole soundtrack, especially for an animation that's only 3.5 minutes long. one track that keeps with the pace and mood of the short will do much better than short 10 second snippets of lots of songs. it'll help make the movie seem to flow more smoothly and won't distract from the story, let alone the animation in the movie (which i'm assuming is the focus, since it appears to be in a competition for animation).

as for the introductory title sequence, i think it's too long. you could have all the characters fall in a cascade instead of bringing them one by one with the same sound effects and a long pause after each. that would help with the flow and timing.

how long did it take you to animate this?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 24-09-2006 , 12:49 AM
making the most impressive animation when

# 4 25-09-2006 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
Which renderer did you use? and how long to render. May I ask your machines specs as well? this way I have an idea of rendering times for something like that. Also, what program did you use to convert the animation and any post work. Thanks for any reply, any info will help this newbie!!

My machine, P4 3.2 Ghz ( clocked to 3.4 )
2 Gig RAM
512 MB ATI X1600 PRO card ( clocked to 600 core, 498Mem after market cooling)

# 5 04-10-2006 , 02:49 AM
i know i wasn't the one you were directing that question to, but i can answer most of it as far as the production process goes....

first, you should assume that the animation was either done in 15 or 30 frames per second. since it doesn't look like he used too many lights and the textures and models aren't that complex, render time for a single frame could be anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute. just from there, you can devise how long it took to render the whole animation...

afterwards the rendered image sequences (or avi files, which is kind of a bad choice for render output cause maya's avi quality is kinda poor) are put into a compositing/editing program such as adobe premiere, after effects, apple's final cut pro, shake, combustion, etc. the time for adding sound, synching stuff up, rearranging cuts and then rendering out depends on how comfortable you are with your program and how large/complex your composition will be.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 04-10-2006 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply.. I kind of guessed 30 FPS, and I knew learned from the forums that AVI isnt the way to go.. ( I think tga is recommended ) And I think most are recommending Premiere for post work.... But I was curious which method of rendering was used.. ( Mental Ray, hardware, an outside renderer..etc. ) I do alot of raytracing and know it can get very long under certain circumstances.. so I was curious about the render time for a file sequence like the one shown. I'm trying to find out as much as possible so when I'm ready, I canmake good decisions reguarding the apps used. Again.. thanks for the reply!!