Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 05-03-2004 , 03:04 PM

final concept

OK the final concept has ballooned into a short INVOLVED animation.

There will be toppled, massive stones scattered on the ground covered with ancient symbols; these will be stacked and placed haphazardly. Just below these will be a layer of magma, visible between the giant toppled stones. Now, a few of the stone pylons are still standing and this is where the next alien species live, perched a-top of the pylons like gargoyles. I will have the pods sitting on top of the pylons, using their tentacles to hold them up as they wrap down around the pylon. There will be small metal suspension bridges attaching the pods that the aliens use to travel across.
The one point I want to make visually is in the background there will be a distant smoldering volcano, defining why there is magma and rubble, and, I want one of the tentacles to wrap down to the bottom of the pylon, touch the magma, steam rises, the tentacle retracts quickly, as if in pain, and then it unwraps, and takes off in to the sky.
I spent 3 hours rigging my pod with over 200 bones and IK.....

crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Lungs not guns....

Last edited by strobe7; 05-03-2004 at 03:07 PM.
# 17 05-03-2004 , 03:06 PM
The Maya Mountain
woah.... careful, there, buddy. Only the scene itself is the main judging point. If you'd like to do animation and all, I'd recomend waiting until your scene is completed!

# 18 05-03-2004 , 03:09 PM
I agree, and plan on doing that. I just realize that is is better to build it rigged, with the animation concept in mind (easier posing) so I do not have to rebuild it later. I can see also that bones are not just for animation, they are great for shaping and modeling as well.

I know it is a lot; but, I like the fact I am excited to do it, and will learn so much in the process.

Lungs not guns....

Last edited by strobe7; 05-03-2004 at 03:44 PM.
# 19 05-03-2004 , 03:49 PM
Lifetime Member
nice design strobe ...I was thinking of maybe having a go at this challenge a couple of days ago , but having seen the level of skill thats still considered noob , will practice for a little while longer ...hehe. might have a go in private tho..lol

# 20 05-03-2004 , 05:06 PM
Join in! I am only a noob with big concepts. Making them happen is another thing entirely user added image

This is my first competition, and I am sure I will be last, or whatever. It doesn't matter how I do, just that I try and learn as I go. I like the idea of everyone learning and being driven vicariously though each other to become better artists.

I am glad you like my idea user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 21 05-03-2004 , 05:10 PM
strobe7, you got it my man!

"just that I try and learn as I go. I like the idea of everyone learning and being driven vicariously through each other"

you hit the spot user added image you will get good in no time with that mindset. use your SM homies my friend.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 22 05-03-2004 , 05:46 PM
Lifetime Member
you guys are great and really helpful.I will see how I get on in the next couple of days and if all is well will join, I also like the idea of having to learn to get something done , but also I know mt limitations right now as I have only modeled one model and done no texturing at all ...lol. A scene would be a real challenge right now but might take up the mantle if I get get a few basic concepts going user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 23 05-03-2004 , 09:05 PM
Unique concept to say the least. Reminds me of my concept(that ill be posting shortly). I think the pod itself needs a little more deffinition on some parts. looks rather boring right now.

# 24 08-03-2004 , 03:01 PM
Seeing this is my first environment, I am feeling a little overwhelmed - I am still only on the POD..... I guess that is OK. I will post some progress hopefully tonight. I was slammed all weekend, but should be able to do some for the next three nights user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 25 08-03-2004 , 03:02 PM
thanks orgeeizm for the similar understanding.

thanks twisted - you will hopefully like the next version of the POD much more!

Lungs not guns....
# 26 09-03-2004 , 01:10 PM

pod lighting test

Here I am just playing around with the POD.

I have never built an "area" like this, so I am realizing I did not plan well ;(

I am now figuring out where the camera will be, and organizing around it. As of now I have a lot built, with no single logical angle for an image - learning.

Attached Thumbnails

Lungs not guns....
# 27 15-03-2004 , 02:58 PM
I applogize, but I am withdrawing from the contest due to a deadline on my album. Good luck everyone.

Lungs not guns....
# 28 15-03-2004 , 05:13 PM
Lifetime Member
sorry to hear that strobe. Goodluck with your album user added image

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 29 16-03-2004 , 04:43 PM
Thanks; see you guys in a couple of months.

Lungs not guns....
# 30 16-03-2004 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
too bad you're withdrawing man. You were doing very well. user added image good luck on yer album.