Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 18-07-2004 , 02:10 AM

On to the body...

Hi again everyone! I have finally had the chance to start the body for my character...It is mainly just lofted NURBS curves right now, and after I am finished with all of the lofting I will do a LOT of tweaking to the model. :bored: Anyway, comments and crits are still always welcome while the body is still in its early stages! user added image This pic has the front view and perspective together in the same pic of the model so far. Also, the body and head are not connected yet...but I will connect them once the body is completed.

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 47 10-11-2004 , 02:47 PM
Hi again everyone! I know it has been awhile since I updated this model, and I am glad that I finally get the chance to update it a little more! user added image I began some work on the legs using NURBS curves and lofting...but I will need to convert it to Polys to join the pieces together once all the lofting is complete...

Attached Thumbnails

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 48 10-11-2004 , 04:27 PM
Here is an update with some of the arms made...please tell me what you all think of the model so far! user added image I still need to do the hands and feet though...

Attached Thumbnails

# 49 10-11-2004 , 04:40 PM
Oops, almost forgot: here is a rendered version with the wireframe over it.

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 10-11-2004 , 10:35 PM
Good to see you making progress on this, I know these things can take a long time.

The thing that jumps out at me is that there seems to be to many (can't think of the right term.. not uv's, not cv's...) grid lines going in a vertical direction on your torso. Since it is still a nurbs surface I would reduce it now to make it easier to work with when converted to polys. Hope that helps.

# 51 10-11-2004 , 11:18 PM
post a pic of yourself..

# 52 10-11-2004 , 11:28 PM
Thanks for the advice contrast...I will see how reducing the number of "grid lines" helps. I tried to keep it at a somewhat high number though on the torso in order to keep the great amount of detail I am going for. I will try reducing it and see what it does...if it doesn't work though, then I will have to keep it as it is. Also, Billy_Cat... I don't have any recent full-body photos of me (and of course none nude user added image ), but I can post a shot of the reference I was using for the head. :p

Attached Images

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 10-11-2004 at 11:30 PM.
# 53 11-11-2004 , 02:05 AM
UPDATE: I now added a pair of boots to the model...I am having problems trying to connect the legs to the body though. Is there anyone out there who knows NURBS that can tell me the best way to connect the legs to the body without having to convert it to polys?

Attached Thumbnails

# 54 11-11-2004 , 12:34 PM
Michael McKinley has a good step by step tutorial on how to do that on his website.

https://www.mtmckinley.net/

Go to the tutorials section, then modeling.

Also there is a link to pre-order his new book! user added image I am sure it would be the perfect holiday gift!

# 55 13-11-2004 , 11:33 PM
Thanks for the link contrast...I will see if it will help me attach the legs to the body. user added image Ok, well I do have another update though (legs still need to be attached though): I created the shirt, started on the gloves (just need to do the fingers), started the upper-body armor, and even did some of the wraps around the legs. Next update will include more armor hopefully, and maybe even a go on the skirt and pants eventually. Also, the leg wraps will be attached to the pants once they are done. :p Here is the front view of the model:

Attached Thumbnails

# 56 13-11-2004 , 11:35 PM
And here is the perspective view of the updated model. C & C is always welcome! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 57 14-11-2004 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
The bodice/top comes up too far underneath the armpits. There's a muscle that runs from the side of the chest to the underneath of the arm (don't have a clue on the name :o ) in a triangle shape when the arm is up, but it flattens to the chest when the arm is down. The edge of the top wud start just below here, otherwise it will fall down as the arms go down.

As for the process of Nurbs modelling, hats off to ya. its not an easy task. To start doing this effeciently have a look for some 'patch modelling' tutorials. Basically u cut ur model up into rectangluar patches (all nurbs shapes are four sided planes twisted and shaped) and stitch them together. Really worth a look.

Good luck with it all!

Kerosene user added image

# 58 14-11-2004 , 04:44 AM
CGP,

I think you're going to find it very frustrating when attaching all the pieces together in this model as you really want to create a seamless flow in the mesh. Typically you would rebuild your surfaces so that they match in the direction (u or V) you're stitching. If you ever check out one of Kurt's character modeling tutorials, he uses a nice method of starting with NURBS primitives, matching seams and spans, then converting to poly for detailing. It's a good method if you prefer roughing things out in NURBS. Then once you convert to poly, you can cut the model in half and use poly proxy mode to view the smooth model while tweaking the low poly. Then, you just make cuts/splits as you need them for higher detail. Character modeling entirely in NURBS is definitely a challenge...you've got your work cut out for you. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 59 14-11-2004 , 12:41 PM
Thanks for the comments on my model, Kerosene and NitroLiq! user added image I will take all that you both said into consideration! user added image

Kerosene: I see what you are saying about the arm. I guess I went a little overboard when doing the chest armor. I know the muscle structure you are referring to, although I do not know the name of it neither. :bored: So, don't worry about not knowing the name. user added image I will try and make the armor not get too close to the armpit...I really DO need to fix that! Also, thanks for the advice on the patch modeling tuts. I will need to take a look into it. user added image I have never worked with patch modeling before, but I am always willing to try something new!

NitroLiq: You are right, trying to attach all of those NURBS shapes can be a pain! user added image I am going to try different techniques though and see which one works best. I was considering just converting the model to POLYS and then tweeking it from there, but I like to see how far I can go with NURBS. I am actually better at using NURBS though than I am with POLYS. I really don't have much experience with using POLYS, and I tend to work at a faster pace with NURBS. I tried doing a POLY head once...and it just didn't turn out that well at all... :o I really do not use any NURBS primitives for my models. Rather, I just create my own NURBS shapes by making tons of curves and then using such commands as lofting and such. I actually learned to primarily use NURBS when I took my Computer 3-D Modeling course, so that is probably why I am so familiar with it more so than POLYS, even though I am still learning how to use NURBS even to this day! user added image I always wanted to learn how to model with POLYS someday...hopefully someday soon (once the semester is over) I can sit down with a nice poly tut and learn how to model in POLYS. user added image

# 60 14-11-2004 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
Looking better every update. One minor crit tho, her hips seem a little too wide in my opinion.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX