Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-08-2005 , 07:39 PM

Problem with Paint effects

Hello,

I make at the moment a reconstruction of a roman temple from switzerland. I've just finished the temple, only the "garden" of the temple isn't finished.
Each time when I render my work, all paint effects are white (like the widow in the pic). It isn't a too hard light or something like this...

Can somebody help me?

greets

LyNx

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-08-2005 , 01:02 PM
How high intensity are your lights set to?

I did a quick search and found this:

Blown out highlights on Paint Effects in moderately bright lighting

Q: My real problem comes in when I raise the value of one directional light to a measly "2"...the paint effects are completely blown out and there does not seem to be a global light sensitivity for the paint effects...are they simply hard coded to work in the 0-1 range?

A: When brushes aren't textured the specular seems to increase as the square of the brightness( a bug ). The command scaleBrushBrightness( Maya3.0 or later ) adjusts the brightness of either all picked brushes or the current default brush. It also accounts for the specular problem. It turns out that quite a few parameters must be adjusted currently ( an added brightness parameter on brushes would be a good idea! ).

Here are some examples of the usage of this command.

scaleBrushBrightness 0.5 0
This will dim your brushes by 50%.
To modify the current default or template brush type:
scaleBrushBrightness 0.5 1
( the second parameter is a toggle to affect the default brush) To restore the brush to what it was before the last scale, scale by the inverse (i.e. 1/scale ) that you used, in this case:
scaleBrushBrightness 2.0 1