Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 13-12-2005 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by darijo203
I rather use point and orient constrains they behave better when animateing!

When I rotate foot around Y I want my PolVector to follow but when I rotate it around the X I dont want to have any affect on it.
So I constrain it to X and Z for rotation and point constrain for all axies.

I'll send you an example.

How do you guys solve spine problem FK or Spline IK (how many bones, or combination of 2 bone chain) and how do you control head?

if u constrain your polevector locator, then u dont have control over its location. u can no longer animate it.

the best way is to simply parent it higher in the hierarchy.
like a cog or something.

# 32 14-12-2005 , 12:28 PM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
if u constrain your polevector locator, then u dont have control over its location. u can no longer animate it.

the best way is to simply parent it higher in the hierarchy.
like a cog or something.

You're right!
Thats why I use transform nodes (grouping).

I sent unfinished leg rig setup so here's the correction.
Again try to rotate foot control over its axies, then try to trasnlate it...

This version reduces flipping problem when you rotate too much over X axies simply cuz it doesn affect on locators translate axies, but still when you rotate around Y, locator follows.

Check out and please let me know what you think, aslo I would love to see other solutions for different parts of the rig!

Thank you!

Attached Files
File Type: ma reversfootsetup_ik.ma (178.9 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by darijo203; 14-12-2005 at 12:33 PM.
# 33 14-12-2005 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by darijo203
You're right!
Thats why I use transform nodes (grouping).

This version reduces flipping problem when you rotate too much over X axies simply cuz it doesn affect on locators translate axies, but still when you rotate around Y, locator follows.

Check out and please let me know what you think, aslo I would love to see other solutions for different parts of the rig!

Thank you!

yes i see your set u. its an ok set up. but some issues with the pole vector constrain, and the way its parented into heirarchy.

i attached a version of a simple foot set up i usually use.

theres is no flipping, and poll vector constrain is not used, but there is a knee orient controller to control the twist attribute of the IK handle, the twist attribute is essential what the pole vector control is driving.

i have a foot control, a toe control, there is room to add mouch more control if you want.

take a look at it. there is a version 6 and a version 7.0 files in zip. let me know if any problems.

**edit: the knee orient control object should only be translated in x axis. i forgot to hide the othe channels. so u acn hide all channels but the translate x channel should remain keyable.
and the toePivotCtrl should only rotate, dont translate or scale; again u can hide those channel attributes to make them non-keyable.. u should also point constrain it to the toe joint [select toe joint then select the toevipot the constrain>point] user added image

*** : this was a quick 10min rig i was in hurry :p
good luck.

Attached Files
File Type: rar footsetup.rar (38.4 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by vladimirjp; 14-12-2005 at 03:18 PM.
# 34 14-12-2005 , 06:02 PM
Very nice rig...I like it!

One thing I personlay dont like is that when I move hips it affects translation of the knee controler.
I see you use utilities nodes.
Didnt have much time to sutdy it, so some tips n tricks would be nice.

By the way what issues does my rig have with pole vector?

# 35 14-12-2005 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
yea, i change the rig so that it wont move with the hips, but rather with the knee.
actually, u dont even need the kneectrl object. u can control the orientation of the knee with the knee attribute on the leg ctrl, its just there as a visual cue.

the average node is to keep the leg from flipping at extreme poses.

only thin with your pole vector constrain is that it moves around a lot. and it does not stay oriented with the knee, like my control ovject. and also translating in z or y seems to affect the orientation as well, i prefer only x to acffect orientation of knee.

but your rig is good. i guess it comes down to a matter of preference, if your are the one who will animate, then rig the way you feel comfortable.
user added image

Last edited by vladimirjp; 14-12-2005 at 06:16 PM.
# 36 14-12-2005 , 10:49 PM
Yeah, true!

This pic describes my day...moon river and Sinatra in the background...lol.

Note his ass, looks very uncomfortable.
I am playing with poses a lil bit, trying to get the mood right, I gess.

But when you're posing the charater I notice that you get better feeling of how animation should look like.
Trying to overexpress that motion...blah.

Come on guys, it cant be that this is only modeling web site, move those vertices.

Do you got some animation done,would love to see it if so?!

...i think I am going to model the zebra and animate it ofcourse!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by darijo203; 14-12-2005 at 10:51 PM.