Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 226 19-03-2006 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
don't get too deep Jay, save it for the middle east.., you know they used to sit in a circle and create spontaneoius poetry. One would stand up and say something profound and then another would stand up and embellish upon it and so on and so forth.., and they are made to look 'primitive' in the media.

be that as it may, get too deep here and your out of the box.

your model, I love those wires, fantastic shape and the simplicity is a tribute to your skill. What are those concentric circles in the last update, the ones behind her, I've seen them before but I don't know what they are?

take it easy and life will be easy
# 227 19-03-2006 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
im a little confused here,
are you on a poly budget? u have a max poly count u dont want to reach?

why are you relying on maya's subD do try and get a god shape with as little geometry as posssibe [it seems to me..]
also, i think the fet need a lot more work.
especially the ball of the feet and the toes.
the thing about using refs to model is that u can rely too much on a photograph, theres so many factors that can make a shape look good on a 2d picture but slightly outshape in 3d.
take that into consideration.

also, you should just add geometry where you need to get more convincing shapes and where you need to keep mass.
i know this may be your "technique" of modeling, but your models could get a lot of boost if you just add geometry as you need. get creases to crease more, and bulges to bulge more etc...

# 228 19-03-2006 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
from what I can see and have been told, because I queried the mirror technique as the perfect way to AVOID photo-realism, it seems 3D artists go in after the fact to do finer detail?? Can this be a consideration here? i noticed a lot of wire behind the knees (and I loved the pattern radiating from the navel...user added image ) so it would seem the geometry has been created where needed for a particular part as needed with a possibility of more to come.., but hey, i can't even finish my own WIP; so it's just a thought from an inexperienced observer wanting experience, does this make sense..? No! Don't answer that! Also I noticed amongst the threads that the final product depends on how it is used, in what medium it is put, game, movie, ect, so it seems to me that to make a point of photo realism in the area of toes would only be necessary in a close up, whether game or movie, if there was a close up in that area; unless it is a labour of love?

:blush: user added image

# 229 19-03-2006 , 06:17 AM
Hello Jay,

Finally had a good read through your thread - lots of interesting points have been brought up - i can certainly sympathise with your anger towards comments with a lack of constructive criticism. Having come from a background in fine art where people seem to jealously guard their secrets and take any form of criticism as a personal insult, I have to say that the willingness to share information and to judge each others work at all stages of progress that I have found on Simplymaya, has been really refreshing and positive.

One small thing on your model - sometimes when viewed from the front with the legs apart, it is possible to see the lowest curves of the butt just between the leg. This certainly isn't true of all women and might be something that you have already included as it looks like you have it on one of your earlier posts. Anyway, it is often something that is left out, though I am sure it's a matter of taste and body type.

Great work Jay - keep it up. user added image

# 230 19-03-2006 , 01:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
don't get too deep Jay, save it for the middle east.., you know they used to sit in a circle and create spontaneoius poetry. One would stand up and say something profound and then another would stand up and embellish upon it and so on and so forth.., and they are made to look 'primitive' in the media.

Mirek: Dude man, what are you talking about, I answered your questions.

Vlad: Holy cow its been a while!! I hope you are well...
Anyway, down to the dirt...no no max poly counts here, Im stalling on the 'extras' right now, Im looking at using the base mesh from the point of view of using it for clothing again to fit neatly on the figure, which as you may or may not know if I do it correctly then I can incorporate the clothing into the same deformer sets as the figure once I get round to rigging (so will save me painting weights twice)so lots of planning between stuff right now too. I know exactly what you mean by adding extra edges etc, it will be a poly model later on for final sculpt also there will be 3-4 different models of this girl for final output too for different chapters for my project. So thats the lo down on that.

What are you working on at the moment??

Arran:

thank you, yep this thread is like a frickin soap opera LOL.
Yeah Im usually willing to share and show, good or bad like a few others here.

On the butt side, Iknow exactly what youmean as I nearly went for that but the girl is going to have this cloak/cape so it will all be shadowed out. But...I did what you said for a guy I last worked for, he just called me a pervert for producing the right anatomy, though I did have her standing a bit more provocative than usual, so maybe thatwas why...looked bloody good though LOL

Later guys
Jay :bandit:

# 231 19-03-2006 , 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Jay
[B] Mirek: Dude man, what are you talking about, I answered your questions.

I never thought I'd say it - LOL!!

As for the butt thing, fair enough - just a suggestion. I know what you mean though, it does tend to freak some people out.

# 232 19-03-2006 , 04:07 PM
Cheers Jay, Looks really clean!

# 233 19-03-2006 , 04:36 PM
gster123 : No probs

Arran: No thats cool, as I said I did think about it. And yep somebody had to say it LOL

Jay

# 234 19-03-2006 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
didn't see your answer and I think I'm confusing threads, sorry, I meant how long you been doing 3D.

the rest was just a flippent take on a few remarks I have seen when people approach subjects with a thoughtful or pylosophical approach. I was just joking, sorry, I know your getting stuff thrown at you thick and fast.

My post was referancing someone who queried your polycount and I thought it an unfair thing to do considering the model is not yet finished, that's what you get for fighting others battles.

# 235 19-03-2006 , 11:02 PM
Hey Mirek

No probs. Yeah dont worry I do understand, and yes theres lots of flak coming thick and fast!!

Poly count Im a little cautious here and there as the figures I make are fairly hi by the end with EVERYTHING intact ie textures etc plus rigging. but Im probably one of a few people who plan ahead to counter problems before they arrive.

I do admittedley get pissed off every now and then with complete ass questions and answers, who doesnt ya know, but I'll always have an ace up my sleeve to counter the joker/s, it helps to be thick skinned in this line of work because expectations are hi from people especially when character modeling rears its ugly head, and because I do tend to model characters Im constantly under the microscope here there and everywhere.

Update soon

Cheers for now...
Jay

# 236 19-03-2006 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 237 22-03-2006 , 04:04 PM
Hey Guys

This is my last post on here, so for updates, just look at my site

I'll pop in from time to time to see how its all going. I'll still be doing the odd dvd for Simply Maya though..

Later
Jay

# 238 22-03-2006 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
Why's that mate?

Where you going?

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 239 22-03-2006 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
cheers to you jay and happy adventures ..

dont leave !!! lol

user added image

# 240 22-03-2006 , 06:38 PM

Things have fried my brain on this thread

Well Ive been talked out of it (thanks Mr VJP), but after skimming thru the posts on here I'll probably refuse to answer any dung comments in future thats in this thread and keep it strictly to the point of a critiqued piece...

Sounds arsey but...have a look thru at some of it...it really is arse

Later
Jay