Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 27-04-2006 , 02:39 AM
Subscriber
well, this really depends on the type of modeling that you do.
i was recently doing some level building and i had a fairly big scene, i had dynamics i was working with.
the problem is i scale duplicated a lot in -x direction, i also did a lot of combines with a lot of arbitrary objects without checking normal direction of certain objects, so i ended up with poly bojects with normals pointed in every which way. {by combine i mean for instance if u have 2 simple sphere one with normals reversed and other with normal at default, then you combine them, now u have a poly object with odd normals, so if u are doing dynamics calculation on thta poly object the one with the normals pointed the right only those faces will get calculated [per say].} so i needed a way to find which way normals were pointing in the scene for any given object at any given time.
and i had a huge amount of objects. i guess this isnt really a problem if you just have a single character you are working with. this script i posted helped out a bit.
--------
to see how this thing can tick you off, create a simple sphere; select bottom half and reverse their normals. then in object do editPoly>normals>conform.
and watch how nothing happens.
if it worked correctly it was supposed to at least put all the normals in the same direction [which ever way], now imagine if u have 100 of these spheres in a scene.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 27-04-2006 at 02:45 AM.