Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-05-2006 , 01:04 AM

putting a picture on a surface

what is the best way to place a picture onto a surface? Let me explain my problem.

I want to put a picture of a hippocampus (slice of brain) onto a model of a hippocampus that I build. I first made the hippocampus shape out of NURBs (see picture below).

I wanted to put thisl picture just on the top surface of the model.

1) how do I prevent it from wrapping all the way around the whole surface?

2) how do I map a "non -square" image onto a surface. Image is oval without any background in Photoshop, but white backgorund shows up when i import it (like the photo below)

Thanx for any help......here's a picture of what I am trying to make..minus the white outer section

Attached Images

Last edited by Ahnos; 23-05-2006 at 01:06 AM.
# 2 23-05-2006 , 06:17 PM
I guess you have to warp yourself around UVmapping soon. it´s not that hard to understand.

to answer your questions. when assigning a shader to an object your file is being wrapped all around the object. you could try to map the file onto some faces only. secondly if you don´t want to have the white background showing up try to map the alpha channel with your "background-image"

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 23-05-2006 , 06:22 PM

yup

Yes, I started a UV mapping tutorial last night and it is working. Thank-you. I wasn't aware of this option until now. It looked difficult but is proving not so bad, and very useful.

I will try the alpha channel thing next.

Thank-you