Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 46 29-09-2006 , 04:51 AM
I agree user added image

it looks very characteristic ... like I would imagine a roman guy user added image

the hair looks very smooth...

# 47 29-09-2006 , 07:54 AM
arran - cheers dude user added image its going to be great to get back to the anatomy parts and away from that hair! Still I'm putting everything into this (when time permits) and will be experimenting with various shaders and lighting to get a realistic look

S3rj_T4nKi4n - thanks man, I was hoping to get it close to the actual roman head and keep its characteristics user added image I'm following your progress on your bridge btw, and its looking very impressive!

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 48 05-10-2006 , 01:31 AM
ah ah! finally got the hair to an acceptable state user added image
next up the beard...

user added image

user added image

user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 49 05-10-2006 , 02:05 AM
i'm absolutely in awe... did you say that the hair was actually geometry pieces that you'd duplicate and move around?

Accept no substitutions.
# 50 05-10-2006 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
this is a great one Tick, to me the nose needs to have that punched in look more (literally) but at the same time it looks too big, cant figure it; and the face needs to be wider, dont know how or where but looking straight on at the referance pics, the face there looks broader, yours is a little thin but such early days to critt and try and look intelligent. Great choice, been thinking about something like this for a long time myself but my skills and time are so limited, I envy you. To do that on the train, sounds like heaven.

i imagine as usual it is a case of doing something very minor and the changes will be major but it is not possible to see what that is with such little data here, I know you cant put up everything... one really does need to have al the pics, maya scenes and referances to make a qualified critt I think, we all do our best though user added image

the lighting will be very important as usual, I guess that goes without saying.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 51 05-10-2006 , 01:48 PM
Hey Tick, that hair looks great, any chance of seeing a wire?

Cheers

Steve

# 52 05-10-2006 , 03:25 PM
thanks guys user added image

NeoStrider - thanks user added image yep its all geometry and I have now become enlightened to the power of patience... user added image some bits still look a bit too similar on either side but I stupidly didnt take any reference photo of the right hand side of the head and had to make it up based on the hair in the front view.

mirek03 - yeah I agree that the nose is not perfect yet, it probably has to do with the two head halves still not being attached and not rounding off the front edge - something to definately look at a little more. I think the head is ever so slightly thin because when the photos were chopped up I didnt quite centralise the front view and as only half the head was modelled it might be a very small amount out. Then again I'll post up a front view where the camera angle does not distort the perspective and you can have a better look user added image
Yeah the lighting will actually be fun to play with as when I have been doing challenges that part is always slightly rushed.

Steve - thanks user added image the edges still need sorting though. I'll try and get a wire up tonight/tomorrow for you

Si

www.flash-fx.net
# 53 05-10-2006 , 04:49 PM
Subscriber
tick do you think you could find the other side of the head somewhere on the web?? you might be in luck there, its worth a google.

looking forward to seeing the referances and the scenes that they refer to.

call me Mirek, i don't like mirek03 it is just a number that i had to use, but lucky it is my favouite number, the trinity resides in all things, especially western music (for me that's the piont, 1st, 3rd and 5th make the major chord; where it all begins, sort of, well as far as harmonics is concerned anyway)

is there a trinity in animation?? but thats another thread.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 54 05-10-2006 , 05:07 PM
Hey t1ck - it may just be the angle, but looking at the last shot it looks like the transition from the top of the forehead to the hair may be just a little sharp.

Nice coiffure though.user added image

# 55 05-10-2006 , 06:06 PM
Hi Mirek, unfortunately not. I've already had a look but am not helped by the fact that I forgot to take his name when he was photographed (I was more drawn to the fact that he had some good features). All I have is that he was possibly one of the brutus family. The websites with pictures of work from the Napoli museum mainly concentrate on the famous pieces more than the fairly common amount of roman busts.

Hi arran user added image I think its probably the angle but I havent fully tied up the edges of the hair anyway so that might help.

I booted the laptop up and pulled some images across so you can see things a bit better. The reference pictures have been left in the background and as you can see the hair could do with a slight fattening and the ears curving round user added image

EDIT: just realised I forgot a wire - will get that up later

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

www.flash-fx.net

Last edited by t1ck135; 05-10-2006 at 06:08 PM.
# 56 05-10-2006 , 07:32 PM
after seeing those shots of the model composited onto the reference pic i do see what arran is talking about... on the ref it looks like the hair starts lower, but only because the forehead slopes back sooner (and lower)... but they were roman, maybe that's how they looked - nobody had the decency to take good pictures back then so we'll never know user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 57 06-10-2006 , 11:38 AM
Neostrider - its the actual flick of the hair at the front that gives the sharper angle on the forehead. I've thinned it out a bit this morning + it will hopefully look less sharp on later pics user added image

Steve - I finally remembered to take the wires of the hair, here they are in all their glory:

user added image

user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 58 06-10-2006 , 11:44 AM
Cheers SI

Woah man, thats some geometery!

How did you go about styling it, manually pushing and pulling verts or using the sculpt poly tool?

Looks a great job.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 59 06-10-2006 , 12:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Si

Well done, its looking very good, really coming together...

Jay

# 60 06-10-2006 , 12:55 PM
Steve - cheers user added image earlier in the thread there's a cap I made out of the basic head shape. I basically made the cap with circles radiating around the crown and tried to follow where the hair dipped in and out of the head. I then traced lines from the outer edge back to the crown to get the hair flow. After that it was just a case of cutting a line on either side of the trace, pulling the central line in and then cutting and pulling out raised areas between those areas. The front of the hair was positioned first and then all the left hand side of the head. Then about 2/3rds of that side was duplicated to the right and the lines altered so that they flowed to the right and attached to the front. Finally I just grabbed groups of edges and verts and pulled them about a bit so the right side didnt look exactly like the left.
It was time consuming and not the best way to do it but its experience user added image

Jay - cheers user added image hair is as you said, a bit of an interesting one. Dont know whether its possible but I'd think a bumpmap converted to geometry and finished off would be a far faster way of doing it. Or alternatively getting zbrush which is getting even more tempting after seeing how you're progressing with it...

Si

www.flash-fx.net