Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-03-2007 , 08:45 PM

annoying texture seam

I'm just trying to polish my texturing skills, and I find that when I have a wrapround texture, I often get a bit of a seam like the one in this picture. Is there any clever rick to get round it? I produce the displacement,bump and texture map all in photoshop from modifications of the same core image, but I can never get the meeting point quite right. It seems that some anti-aliasing goes on but I'm not sure (the maps are bitmaps) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to clean this up?

Attached Images
# 2 03-03-2007 , 07:30 AM
Maya has a "clone stamp" tool that might help you out, I dont know how to use it but I'm sure the help files will be able to give you an Idea.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 03-03-2007 , 09:45 AM
Senior Software Developer
The texture file is not seemless. Photoshop can help you out andthere are tutes online on how to create seemless texture files.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 05-03-2007 , 08:24 AM
Thanks for clarification. I was concerned that it was doing something to the bmp, but you are indeed right, it was the textures. I went back into photoshop, and after much cloning, smudging and swearing, I have sorted it out, and the textures look lovely.

now I have to learn about lighting, since I doubt that a spotlight and some final gather is really showing my model off to its best.

# 5 05-03-2007 , 01:14 PM
here's a worms eye view with a sky composited onto the background.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 05-03-2007 , 01:19 PM
Nice going man! Looks superb, you need to get a knight and a cartoon dragon in there doing battle, Ican really see this developing into a little fantasy world

Happymat's done a vid tut on 3 point lighting, think its in the lighting and rendering section on one of the first threads.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 05-03-2007 , 01:37 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with Steve. Nice render. Love the too effect.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)