Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 08-12-2007 , 09:56 PM
K Hard Edge vector worked, heres the pic.

***theres a post before this on pager one***

Also the poly count is at 3250.

Edit. K an hour of reading and Ive decided. This is to be on par with a low poly game character of next gen consoles and modern computers. Having said this I will Define what I mean. 5000-8000 quads, as quads are used in some cases now for ps3. I will Make A high res version to be applied to a normal map. Below is the picture that decided for me. The board I got my information from was polycount.net. Great site. Also at the moment she is only a little high poly for a late 90's low poly character spec. Also I see that 1000 poly count models still have there places but this is a main piece so it must be on par with todays mainstays. I will be calling it low poly but I will be upping the poly count to around 5000 in order to get more detail in. c and c welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by wokendreams; 08-12-2007 at 10:46 PM.
# 17 08-12-2007 , 10:48 PM
Woo triple post.

(i don't think theres a way for more than one pic per post and it wont let me put a pic on the first post.)

Edit. I have red mid poly mesh as a word to use now. I dunno maybe that would be better for where this is going

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by wokendreams; 08-12-2007 at 10:58 PM.
# 18 08-12-2007 , 11:49 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking good!

Your vector render looks allot better, though it's a bit blurry. Oh, and by the way. Theres nothing wrong with the UV map method, and it actually looks allot clearer, and you can change the color, even apply a Ramp node to it. Plus you could add a bump or displacement map to it. That would create the illusion that the Wire frame was built on top of the mesh.

Anyway, you should really decide weather your project is going to be Hi or Low res before you even start. I know planing may seem like a waste of time, when all you want to do is get modeling, but it can really pay of. Plus it's good to learn Project organization, and process. It will help in your future if you decide to take up 3D as a career. God knows employers are looking for Organized, efficient, artists that can get mind blowing results in minimum time.

Also, that image you posted of the character someone had made, there "Lo-Res" didn't seem really "Lo-Res." There were a ton of Extra Geo in the face that, if gone, you wouldn't notice the difference........ maybe I'm just being picky, and overly Critical.

Anyway, If i was doing what you are doing i would probably build 2 Models, 1 Hi-Res the other Low, as this would lend you better results, as you have far greater control over both of your meshes, But this could be time consuming. So if you decide to Model only one model and use it for both the Hi and Low res models, start with the Low, and model it as you want the final result to be. So that it's ready to go into the game. Then use that and build up detail to create the Hi-Res. This method is allot easier than building the Hi-Res and then trying to De-Res it.

Anyway, nice work so far. Keep at it, and you'll have a portfolio piece in no time!

Have fun! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 19 09-12-2007 , 01:43 AM
hmmm.. why is it a gamespot watermark on the pic?

# 20 09-12-2007 , 07:42 AM
The model is from guitar hero three, thats why I've decided to lean more in its direction.

# 21 09-12-2007 , 10:11 AM
Aha.. ok, I got the impression that you showed off your latest work.... my bad :headbang:

# 22 09-12-2007 , 11:02 PM
she's bow legged. Just found it, wanted to share. It'll be fixed in the next update. Thanks again for the help guys it gave me a lot of direction.

# 23 11-12-2007 , 06:46 AM
She isn't so cartoony now, and I fixed the breasts. I'm upping the mesh resolution for to get a cleaner more even mesh that will hold details. This is about the final resolution for version that will be animated and normal mapped.

My thoughts are that at a true low poly level details dont hold well without making an untidy mesh. I dont like working that way its just as time consuming to rework edges every time a new detail or change is needed as it is to work with more verts.

This is about quality too so render time is not a consideration until it hits 10 minutes or more for a render. Also poly count hasn't affected my render time. However every time I add texture nodes and things like that I notice my instant render is gone.

I like working with the even mesh like this much more than the optimized model, it gives me more freedom.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 20-01-2008 , 05:43 AM

Rigging

Started college this month, and was moving so i've been off maya for a bit. The rig is from a digital tutors kit that im following. Tried just copying the rig but the behavior was no good. My thinking now is that Getting the base skinned and animated will let me add clothes armour hair ect... to the animation and try out a few things on the same model. Anyway 905 done the rig. Im having this issue where maya crashes when I add the forearm twist expression, I think for now I'm not going to put it in because I have a feeling it will mean rebuilding the arms. Anyway heres the rig.

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 20-01-2008 , 07:13 AM
Lookin good sir, however, the feet need to have the arch raised if you are ghoing to give her that small of calves. Are you going for realism or a slighlty toon look? If it is the latter, then I would keep her more or less the same, if you want more realism, her ribs should go a little further down IMO.

But still, pretty freaking sweet.

# 26 20-01-2008 , 07:42 AM
This is the finished rig.

Attached Images
# 27 21-01-2008 , 12:54 PM
basic weights, needs some tweaking but things are coming nicely. It should be animated soon.
Agent_Dick: slightly cartoony is good, user added image. Thanks.

Attached Images
# 28 23-01-2008 , 10:56 PM
Deformation tests. Some mesh edits and general changes as well. Anyway thanks to everyone who helped me get this far. Anyone have a good example of deforamble hip geometry? I cant get the felx I want from the hips...

Tell me what you think.

p.s. I think I got the breasts all fixed, considering all the crits on them its bout time, lol.

edit. Please ignore the right arm as there are no bones in it.

Attached Images