Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-01-2003 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber

Subdiv's to Polygons properly?

Hey, I have a oval shape that i modelled in subdivs, now i want it exactly the same, but in polygons. I dont really care if its a ton of polygons but can anyone tell me how i can do this. Every time i go Subdivs to Polygons, I end up with really jagged edges. Thanks.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 2 28-01-2003 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
I never had any problems converting from sub-d to oly. Can you upload a screenshot?

Kühl
# 3 28-01-2003 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
Yep, I can get ya a pic easily!

user added image

And I did press 3 on the keyboard to smooth it though, can i keep this smooth? (on the subdiv to polygons). If not then arrrg, how can i paint on this?!?

# 4 28-01-2003 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
I tried to same and my model dont get near as bad as yours. Maybe you have to reset your settings in the sub-d to poly option.

However, use the different modelling techniques what suits the purpose most. I know theres many different opinions in here - and maybe even my opinion will change while archiving further skills - but I think thats polys is best for character-design, nurbs for dead things (such as cars, houses etc.) and sub-d for more toon-looking creatures. I do however combinate the technigues but allways end up with polys.

Smooth your model a bit and it will look like the sub-d.

I dont know (yet) how to paint on sub-d's.

Hope this was useful - maybe someone else know how to paint on sub-d's???

Kühl
# 5 28-01-2003 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
oh... here was my (fast) example on converting sub-d to poly.

Kühl
# 6 28-01-2003 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
wow, i goofed up. Thanks a lot man, this is helpful. I think i have it figured out. Cya!

# 7 28-01-2003 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
Ok, yep this worked great! Thanks this really helped me out and to top it off this helped me for many other things in my model! :banana" user added image

# 8 28-01-2003 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
Glad I could help, and thanx for the private messege about photoshop. I have allready work a great deal with PS, but I dont know a damn thing about texturing in it. It your have/find a good tut about it - let me know.

Kühl
# 9 28-01-2003 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
I will do Kuhl, i used to be not too bad with texturing. I havent done it for a while tho.. if you are totally stuck or totally new to it i could give you some tips, so pm me if thats the case. Cya