Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 16-09-2011 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
Hello Again,

So I've been having trouble finishing this model. I think its mostly because I've hit an area where my skills are weakest and suffering from burnout. A friend of mine suggested that maybe I'm having trouble finishing because I never had a clear idea of who I was trying to model. That a generic male wasn't enough and that I should give him a personality and put the guy in a context to help flesh him out. Give him a personality. So since we both play city of heroes He suggested to redesign him using my Blaster toon as a template. So after five hours of modeling mayhem I'm here. And I've got my groove back. After a few more hours and a little more detail here and there I think I'll be ready to redo his body layouts and continue tackling texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 47 16-09-2011 , 10:14 AM
Lifetime Member
Sorry mate havent dropped in for a while. Looking good man! nicely done so far. I kind of agree with your mate...having a character in your head which may represent some thing in your mind may help...but then again it may stall it too.

I like the way you are really giving this all you have dude....nicely done on a personal challenege mate. I will try to drop in more often...apologies

cheers buulet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 48 17-09-2011 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
No need for apologies Bullet its always good to hear from you! And thank you for the vote of confidence I really am trying to push myself to my personal limit on this!

# 49 18-09-2011 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
Remodeling is done with everything below the neckline. Moving on to do the helmet and connecting ring. But For the purposes of the model I plan on keeping it beside the head so I can keep working on another go at a polygon hair solution and texturing the head itself.

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 18-09-2011 , 02:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Looking good man!! starting to look the part of a warrior!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 51 18-09-2011 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks bullet! He's got personality now! user added image

My last modeling post. Head Neck piece and helmet done. I'll repost UV's once I get his body mapped. Once smoothed he tops out at nearly 65,000 quads so I think I've taken this as far as I dare. Any other detailing will have to wait until I learn mudbox.

Attached Thumbnails

# 52 20-09-2011 , 09:24 AM

Thanks bullet! He's got personality now! user added image

My last modeling post. Head Neck piece and helmet done. I'll repost UV's once I get his body mapped. Once smoothed he tops out at nearly 65,000 quads so I think I've taken this as far as I dare. Any other detailing will have to wait until I learn mudbox.

Hey

Looking good

Kinda reminds me of the halo-Esque genre user added image I have gotten my new PC now so should be up and running again shorlty.

Will you be texturing the armour???

# 53 26-09-2011 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber
Thanks silverspawn. To tell you the truth the city of heroes base model is kind of simple and to break it up and add a little variety I studied Halo renders to figure out how to add detailing to the mesh before I run off and texture. It doesn't help much that I love halo user added image

I'm in the process of texturing now and I've almost got the base colors mapped out. I've been playing with the armor texture map to make sure its as clean as possible. Hopefully I'll have something up tonight or tomorrow. (I've forgotten to check up on the board for critiques and responses for a while... )

# 54 26-09-2011 , 03:13 AM
Subscriber
I got done slightly faster than I thought with the base coloring. Posting to give everyone an idea of what the base color scheme is before I got into refining the texture map to add... well textures! But here it is with the base colors and a basic AO map baked into it.

Also I'm about to make an account with photobucket so I can follow Daverave's advice so I can up the image quality of my posts. Which would be the most optimal format? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

# 55 03-10-2011 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
Finally finished the body/helmet and accessories color map. I uploaded it to photobucket as .png's to help with the quality. Once I get the head touched up I'm going to knock out specular maps and bump maps. The overall look I'm going for is a Day 0 just starting out type look so he hasn't done anything really to scuff up the armor.

https://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/CGWolfgang_99/

# 56 06-10-2011 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
Bump map and specular map done on body,

Attached Thumbnails

# 57 17-10-2011 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber